Votes: 0 0.0%
  • You should rethink 6+ problems

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

calabarpythonlover2

Hi Everybody!
I am new to geckos so i just want to know if my setup is good
this is my setup for my 7 month old female super hypo carrot tail leopard gecko
I am using a 15 gallon aquarium from the pet store(the dimensions are 24"x12"x12")
I am using a zoomed 10-20 gallon undertank heater to keep the warm side about 91 degrees fahrenheit (i used a probe thermometer)
then i have a 50 watt infrared heat bulb to keep the ambient temperature about 75-80 degrees fahrenheit
then i am using a paper towel substrate
with one hide on the warm side and a moist hide on the cool side
i also have a couple of paper towel rolls in the cage for hiding and climbing
then i have a calcium dish with pure calcium in it
a feeding dish for the mealworms and a water dish
im sorry that i dont have any pictures

Last edited:

gitrdone0420

Gotta catch 'em all!
Lets see... I typically keep my temperatures around 95-97*F. I think that 91 is a little under where I would like to see it.
As far as hides, my preference is to have a moist hide, cool hide and a warm hide = 3 total. I suppose two would suffice, three is just my preference. I also find that paper towel rolls and such are just a little too dull... I like to decorate the tanks with a theme of some sort and put decorations in it that pertain to that... like tropical, or desert, etc.
These are all just my opinions and your leo could certainly do fine in your set up. I am just throwing out ideas.

LizMarie

I think your set up is perfectly fine.

I personally like my temps to be around 94 but with leos there is an on going debate on what temps are best but anything between 88-97 seems to be constant and you fall between that range so whatever you feel works well for you.

Congrats on your new gecko!

Angel

sounds good but you may want to move your moist hide to the warm side its the only way it becomes a humid hide otherwise it get cold. I agree more hides but thats is personal opinion , sounds great otherwise

R

ricardo

yes it's all good and nice eheh the temps should be a little higher :D

regards to you and to your leo eheh

LizMarie

Everyone has their own way of doing things.

sounds good but you may want to move your moist hide to the warm side its the only way it becomes a humid hide otherwise it get cold. I agree more hides but thats is personal opinion , sounds great otherwise

Not true depending on your ambient temps. I keep all my humid hides on the cool side and none of them get cold, especially if you have a proper medium to make it humid. I use coconut fiber and it keep it humid for at least 2-3days because I do a daily finger test.

If anything when you put them on the warm side they dry out too fast.

well she eats and poops fine and ron tremper keeps his geckos at 90 degrees on the warm side

Like I said before there's a little debate on warm side temps but generally I find the debate is between 88-97*F so whatever works for you at the end of the day.

And yes Paper Towel roles will act as another hide. My AFt's are in 10gallon tanks and it's hard to find enough room two put to hides so I have a dry hide and a humid hide and for "extra" hiding space I put a bunch of plastic plants in a corner to hide in works perfectly fine for me.

LizMarie

i was just wondering because my gecko has a very bland diet(mealworms with an occasional waxworm) what do u guys use to vary your geckos diets

I use Dubia Roaches and Superworms but you can use Silkworms, phoenix worms, crickets, a variety of Roaches and I'm sure there are a few more feeders but that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

calabarpythonlover2

my parents wont let me use roaches,im going to start superworms once she gets big enough,silkworms are hard and too expensive,i will try phoenix worms and i dont think i will be able to have circkets

Visit our friends