my setup

Gpoop

Here's my setup. All I need to get is a hide on the hot side and some moss for the container to make a moist hide.

IMG_1317.jpg

houseb

So many things are troubling with that article: sand (even though he later corrects this), leaving crickets/fruit in the tank, the fact that he thinks leos have "sticky-pad-feet", etc.

reps4life

So many things are troubling with that article: sand (even though he later corrects this), leaving crickets/fruit in the tank, the fact that he thinks leos have "sticky-pad-feet", etc.

He had to have her euthanized so I would think they did further testing and a necropsy to confirm but who knows. Well maybe moving the water dish foward as precaution will be a good idea. Maybe your little guy will be an excellent climber. He will definately enjoy it:)

TylerDurden

I love the background but at the same time it worries me. Read this sad story and you will understand why.

http://ghost32.hubpages.com/hub/Keep-Your-Leopard-Gecko-Safe-And-Happy

Hey I don't mean to hijack your topic, just a quick question related to 3D terrarium backgrounds. I saw these 3D backgrounds sort of cheap at petsmart:

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752523

I gave up on the idea of making my own, I just don't have the time unfortunately. Anyway, I don't have my gecko yet, I'm still preparing the tank. I am going with a tile floor and have already removed one item from the tank that I thought was just too high up and potentially dangerous. So my question is can they climb up these things? If so I don't even want to risk it i'll just put some paper on the background instead.

reps4life

Hey I don't mean to hijack your topic, just a quick question related to 3D terrarium backgrounds. I saw these 3D backgrounds sort of cheap at petsmart:

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752523

I gave up on the idea of making my own, I just don't have the time unfortunately. Anyway, I don't have my gecko yet, I'm still preparing the tank. I am going with a tile floor and have already removed one item from the tank that I thought was just too high up and potentially dangerous. So my question is can they climb up these things? If so I don't even want to risk it i'll just put some paper on the background instead.

Well, they are agile climbers and love to be up high for whatever reason. In the past I have spoken to owners whose Leo's passed away suddenly. A few owners stated that the only thing they could remember was a fall which had previously occured. They however did not have a necropsy done to confirm the cause of death. With any fall there is always a chance of spinal injury, internal bleeding, ect.
We want to provide them with a natural habitat, but unfortunately it can come with risks. I wish there was an easy solution.

TylerDurden

Well, they are agile climbers and love to be up high for whatever reason. In the past I have spoken to owners whose Leo's passed away suddenly. A few owners stated that the only thing they could remember was a fall which had previously occured. They however did not have a necropsy done to confirm the cause of death. With any fall there is always a chance of spinal injury, internal bleeding, ect.
We want to provide them with a natural habitat, but unfortunately it can come with risks. I wish there was an easy solution.

ok I guess I might as well go the safer route, it'll just make me nervous always wondering if he's climbing all the way up the thing. Thanks.

OnlineGeckos

I have one that likes to jump up at the mesh top, with it being closed. It ticks me off because I don't want him to injure himself. I got nothing high for him to climb on, I took everything that reaches even halfway up after seeing his desire to jump. But he still jumps, and falls awkwardly.

Then I have geckos that don't like to climb, even with items that reach high they don't seem interested in climbing up. So I think it's important to find out what your gecko's habits are, and adjust your decorations according to them.

reps4life

I have one that likes to jump up at the mesh top, with it being closed. It ticks me off because I don't want him to injure himself. I got nothing high for him to climb on, I took everything that reaches even halfway up after seeing his desire to jump. But he still jumps, and falls awkwardly.

Then I have geckos that don't like to climb, even with items that reach high they don't seem interested in climbing up. So I think it's important to find out what your gecko's habits are, and adjust your decorations according to them.
See, those are the ones I end up having. The suicidal type that think they are invincible:D

TylerDurden

oh man I was just thinking about how someone told me theirs kept falling from jumping onto the screen as well.

I hope I don't end up with one like that it'll drive me crazy. I guess I'll just lay the terrarium out as best I can without leaving too many things up high to get a jumping boost off of.

My tank is big too, it's about 35 gallons, long (36" x 15.5" x 15.5" measuring from inside the glass). That seems like it could be a big fall from the screen top to tile straight down, I'll have to watch it I guess and see what it acts like.

Visit our friends