Need suggestions/advice

Justen23

Ok well right now i have 2 geckos and one is on terrarium carpet and the other is on calcium sand. I am looking into buying another gecko but don't really know the best set-up so if you could just give me some advice or suggestions on the setup it will be highly appreciated. I want the tank to look nice and be the best environment for the leopard gecko. Thanks for looking and your time!

wakeskate420

calci sand is bad news bro, it clumps together when wet and if your gecko ingests it while hunting its food or just by licking it there's a high risk of impaction which can be fatal. there are tons of different substrates you can use that are safe. the safest being paper towels, repti carpet, and slate or tile. then there are also eco earth, and play sand, but these do carry a risk of impaction. mine are all adults so i have mine on eco earth and feed them out of a mealworm dish to reduce the risk of impaction. they say eco earth is digestible but it doesn't seem like its a proven fact. as for hides you will need a hot, cool, and humid hide, you can also put other things in there for them to climb on and hide in. hope this helps, good luck!

Justen23

The only reason i have my blazing blizzard on calcium sand is because the store i bought him from had him on it and when i put him on the carpet he went into a no eating state so i switched him to sand and he came to live that instant so i cant really do much with him otherwise i would change cause sand is a pain to keep clean and everything you said also like the clumps and what not.

But i have never tried tile so i will try tile for this upcoming gecko, and see how the gecko takes to the tile.

Visit our friends