New Cage

MitsuMike

Alright well I think I got all this down but help a noob out if I got some stuff messed up.

Here's the setup:
(using for 2 females)

20 Gallon Long
3 Sides covered for security
3 RB hatchling snake hides (hot, cool and humid)
Half log and a climbing tree (just for fun)
2 Accurites to measure temps
Dial guages for center
ZooMed 20 gallon UTH (maybe bigger) I need to cover 1/3 right??
2 water bowls on both sides so they can be picky.
Adding paper towels for the first month to prevent impaction and then switching to calcium sand.

Humidity......do they need any???
Also hot side @ 88-90 and cool side at 70-75 right??

SSPX0295.jpg

SSPX0298.jpg

Hides (This is what I used for my snakes to about 200 grams) I think this should be good for babies to juvis, will upgrade to something else when they out grow them OR do you think I should get something else to start out with?? Need some help on the hides. haha
SSPX0296.jpg

Thanks in advance for the feed back!

Last edited:

KingdomOfHearts2010

I'm A Leo Addict!
Nice set up but you need humid hide and something for the flooring ,paper towels the best easy clean up just toss it when needs to be change or where they goo poo and cheap too hope this helps

humid hide : just any tupperware thats big enough for your leo cute a hole big enough for them to go in and out I use reg dry moss from the pets store and spray it everyday to moisten it or when ever its dry , moist hides are good when they're shedding and when if the don't poo on it once a moth you can change the moss

Last edited:

MitsuMike

Nice set up but you need humid hide and something for the flooring ,paper towels the best easy clean up just toss it when needs to be change or where they goo poo and cheap too hope this helps

humid hide : just any tupperware thats big enough for your leo cute a hole big enough for them to go in and out I use reg dry moss from the pets store and spray it everyday to moisten it or when ever its dry , moist hides are good when they're shedding and when if the don't poo on it once a moth you can change the moss

Haha. The the third center hide that is facing the wrong way is the humid hide. I guess it's a snake habit but we have to keep all hides EXACTLY the same or they stress out.
And yea I will have paper towels at first then calcium sand.

Tony C

Wayward Frogger
You're better off sticking with paper towel instead of calci-sand, which is notorious for causing impactions. If you want to use sand go with a natural sand like play sand, which is dirt cheap from home depot or a garden store. Sand/soil mixes are also good.

Latlaw

I'd forget the sand and go with paper towels, repti-carpet, or tile. And up your temps to about 90-95 on the hot side. Nice looking set up otherwise.

MitsuMike

Ok well glad I asked before I bought that sand. I think I'll go with repti carpet them. Cut 2-3 to size and switch between them. Also I'll up the temps as well.

clink51

agreed with about the cal sand. i had it cause the pet store recommended it and my lil guy would feed on it every time he went out cricket hunting....he's good now after a few hot bathes but just stick to the carpet or tile or paper towels

MitsuMike

Anyone object on the hides?? I know I will have to upgrade soon to upside down plastic flower pots but these seem to fit juvs quite nicely.

MitsuMike

Updated Setup:

Hot side: (UTH and Basking lamp 100 watts)
Hot hide/floor temp = 93
Hot side Ambient temp = 88-90

Center ambient temp = 84

Cool hide/floor temp = 80
Cool side Ambient temp = 81

Now should I lower or what? Also night drops????

Ordered this girl from BHB should be here in a week:
tangerine-1-2.jpg

Tank:
SSPX0303.jpg

SSPX0301.jpg

SSPX0302.jpg

Last edited:

Visit our friends