New Gecko Owner

Cripster

Well I will be as of tonight!!

Picking up 7 for my brother in Law and myself this afternoon.

He runs a Rack System which I think is cool, but being a Reef Aquarium owner I like to look at things and observe.

So I have a good 100gallon + tank (dont know the exact size I just know its a tall tank with rough estimates of 72x18x24) So I plan on putting 4 females in here (maybe three)

I have Heat tape on order and plan on doing 1/3 of the tank on oneside with the heat tape. I also plan on having elevated areas on each side and possibly in the center for them to be able to get off the ground floor. Now my bro is telling me to stick with paper towels, and I know he knows his stuff but I like the Tile idea since paper towels just looks blah to me.

If i do the Tiles, will I need to tile the entire floor or just part of it?

Also any ideas on elevated areas for the inside of this tank? I am hoping in the future to get a good acrylic tank or big glass tank so I can do a rock wall but with my wife having me on a budget..........

I am sure I will have a dozen more Questions so hope you guys dont mind.

RakesRepts

As far as tiling the entire area, I would definitely suggest tiling the part of the tank that has UTH (heat tape) - the rest, it sounds, would be dictated by your need for aesthetics. Make sure you use a rheostat and adhere the probe to the tile above the heat tape with the temp set on around 90f degrees. If your geckos all go to the bathroom on the same tile, it would be a great way to minimize cleaning by only having to remove and clean one tile.

Your rock wall project will require a lot more research and there are some great ideas in the DIY thread. One word of caution, I have heard of leos walking straight off high ledges in some enclosures - I would be cautious with the height of the wall. Also, if you use feeders like roaches or crickets, a lower wall with a few inches of glass above the top will minimize escapes.

Please post pics and have fun with your new leos!! :main_thumbsup:

Pinky81

WHOOOOO HOOOOOO Now thats one hell of a tank!! 100gallons?? You could house a colony in there!! Love it!! Please I agree with John post pics!!! can't wait to see!

Yeah, tile is the way to go. It looks great and functions great. Depending on how hot your tape gets, you may want to put a few paper towels as a buffer under your tiles.

Visit our friends