new gecko with housing problems.

tiedxupxinxknots

Animated Geckos
hi, i just got a gecko yesterday and im new to them, but when i woke up she was cold and all she has been trying to do is escape her aquarium(10 gal) by trying to climb it. am i missing something? i have a warm hide on the warm side of the tank idk how warm it is but its not hot or anything, im using a uth tht sticks to the glass by zoo med. i also have a worm dish and a water dish on the cool side and a hide next to it, can some1 tell me if theres a problem because she really wants to leave tht aquarium by trying to climb the glass?

tiedxupxinxknots

Animated Geckos
i kno im doing that today, but i was told that since its new to its environment, the gecko will act odd till its use to it but yes i am going to monitor the temp and everything thxs and lemme kno if ur gecko acted similar when u first got it

OnlineGeckos

And yes, when you put a leopard gecko in a new tank, they will do their perimeter walk, try to climb up in every which way possible. Some are better climber than others. Happened to all 4 leopard geckos I got.

But do make sure the environment is setup right for them. If you have everything setup properly, they should settle down in a couple of days.

tiedxupxinxknots

Animated Geckos
ok well i got the a digital probe thermometer and the cool side reads 83 and the warm side reads 93 though when i touch the floor it only feels slightly warmer than room temp and when i hold the gecko its stomach feels cold is it suppose to be like that? because i never see it on the warm hide

tiedxupxinxknots

Animated Geckos
oh i see so im worried about nothing then, but how abt the fact that it never goes on the heat mat? right now its reading 96.8 is that too hot? and the gecko is pretty active it runs around the cage alot and its not trying to escape as much anymore, its more like exploring.

tiedxupxinxknots

Animated Geckos
also here is a recent pic of its aquarium <
qnlamd.jpg
the only things that isnt on this pic is the thermometer. let me know if im missing anything

OnlineGeckos

oh i see so im worried about nothing then, but how abt the fact that it never goes on the heat mat? right now its reading 96.8 is that too hot? and the gecko is pretty active it runs around the cage alot and its not trying to escape as much anymore, its more like exploring.

That's fine, they really only lay on warm side after they eat or when the air gets too cold. They're nocturnal so they're likely to roam around when you are sleeping.

I think you're only missing a moist hide. Cut another cup, lay paper towels inside it and moist it up with water. Lay it somewhere between hot & cold side, then you should be set.

Visit our friends