New gecko's new smell

Brewboy74

Gecko Power
Weird topic I know. Anyway, I picked up 2 new leo's this weekend and am noticing a smell that I have gotten with my other one. It's a vaguely fishy odor. I started using coconut fiber in their moist hides. I use sphagnum moss in my display tank. I suspect the coconut fiber is the culprit. I am wondering if anyone else has noticed this?

wakeskate420

Nope I have two tanks with Eco-earth in them and neither of them smell. Did you use a brick of it and soak it with water? If so maybe the water that you soaked it in is what smells if its still damp. Because even when mine was damp is still just smelled like dirt or mulch

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
Any chance these newbies came from some one using sand in their enclosure? I know that when I lay fresh fine sand in my dog run from the gravel pit it smells like low tide for a couple weeks.

Brewboy74

Gecko Power
No the male Raptor is from JMG, he is the one that has the odor. I got a female from Kristi23 and it doesn't have it.

Brewboy74

Gecko Power
I don't know that would be a good question for some of the more experienced members..... I was kind of wondering the same thing, as this male is about 7 months old.

Visit our friends