New Herpstat - Temp Question

B

bkimura

Greetings,
I just received a new Herpstat for my Gecko enclosure. I presently have the probe taped (electrical tape) to the ceramic tile within the Gecko's hide pretty much centered over the UTH. Initially I set the Herpstat for 93 degrees and it seemed to regulate perfectly. However, I'm noticing that my infrared temp gun will always record a temp that's approx. 5-7 degrees warmer.

Question: Should I regulate my temp based on what the Herpstat is recording or the temp gun? I'm concerned that if I set my Herpstat to 95 for example, the Gecko may actually be exposed to 100+ degree temperatures. Right now I have the Herstat regulating at the low end, (90 degrees) such that the temp gun readings won't exceed 95-96. For those of you that use digital probes and guns, what method are you using? Are you just regulating the probe at 95 and ignoring what the heat gun registers, or are you regulating at the lower such as 90 degrees figuring the surface temp is really slightly higher? Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I don't want to cook my Gecko, but I also want to ensure that she has sufficient heat to keep warm. Thanks.

- Bill

roger

Greetings,
I just received a new Herpstat for my Gecko enclosure. I presently have the probe taped (electrical tape) to the ceramic tile within the Gecko's hide pretty much centered over the UTH. Initially I set the Herpstat for 93 degrees and it seemed to regulate perfectly. However, I'm noticing that my infrared temp gun will always record a temp that's approx. 5-7 degrees warmer.

Question: Should I regulate my temp based on what the Herpstat is recording or the temp gun? I'm concerned that if I set my Herpstat to 95 for example, the Gecko may actually be exposed to 100+ degree temperatures. Right now I have the Herstat regulating at the low end, (90 degrees) such that the temp gun readings won't exceed 95-96 under the warm hide. For those of you that use digital probes and guns, what method are you using? Are you just regulating the probe at 95 and ignoring what the heat gun registers, or are you regulating at the lower such as 90 degrees figuring the surface temp is really slightly higher? Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I don't want to cook my Gecko, but I also want to ensure that she has sufficient heat to keep warm. Thanks.

- Bill

I use a rack sytem.I program my herpstat nd for 102 degrees.By the time the heat gets through the plastic tub and newspaper its 96 degrees.Assuming your batteries on your heat gun are working I would experiment until my floor space in the hide is 95 degrees.I would go with your temp gun reading and adjust your herpstat

B

bkimura

Thanks Roger. I was kind of thinking the same thing. Keep lowering the Herpstat until I get an average temp gun reading of 95 degrees. I guess you have to figure that only the bottom of the probe is in contact with the tile, hence the temp would be slightly skewed by the air temperature.

Visit our friends