New Leo Tanks

andrew5859

Hats Off Exotics
First of all I would like to say hello as I am new to the forum so....Hello! :D

I am setting up 3 new tanks for a new male and 2 females just wondering if anyone see's or can think of anything I am forgetting.
The hot side/hot spot temp is staying around 87. Except for my male tank it is around 90 which is odd because they are all 50W bulbs.....

male tank:
IMG_20110512_224659.jpg

Female tank:
IMG_20110512_224708.jpg

Other female tank:
IMG_20110512_224714.jpg

Did I get everything?

roger

u need to bump up your warm end to around 88-95 degrees,also you have an overhead light which u dont need.Do u have a UTH ? Also u should get a humid hide that is NOT clear.use a margarine container or something that is solid in colour that way your leo feels secure

andrew5859

Hats Off Exotics
Thanks for the reply!
Is it REALLY necessary to use an UTH? I have always used heat lamps and they do the job just as well. As for the temp it is getting warmer here (Typical PA weather lol) so the heat should even out. I will get some non clear humid hides!

Pinky81

yes UTH is a must!!! Your leo's way of absorbing heat is through it tummy. so the heat thats coming UP is more inportant then air temp.

Also your temp probe is doing nothing for you hanging up there...its measuring the temps it is measuring because it is showing what the air temp is under your light. That probe needs to be on the tank floor directing over the UTH so you know what your floor temps are. Here is a pic of my hide with the probe. You can see my half log....the UTH is just below it. and the probe is right on the tank bottom!

roger

Thanks for the reply!
Is it REALLY necessary to use an UTH? I have always used heat lamps and they do the job just as well. As for the temp it is getting warmer here (Typical PA weather lol) so the heat should even out. I will get some non clear humid hides!

Although UTH are the most common heating method used.When I first started with leos way back I did use an infrared bulb for heating.If u are using the bright lights that stresses the leo out if u are using it at night.Using a regular bulb during the day is ok because the leo is in its hide sleeping during the day and is hiding.Also u have your probe dangling halfway down the tank.It needs to be placed on the warm end with the probe laying flat on the surface

andrew5859

Hats Off Exotics
I just always figured the tile on the bottom of the tank would absorb the heat and they would get belly heat from there?
My temp probe hanging.....right after I got done replying I was reading some other topics and I did move my temp probe to the floor!
I do use 50W black light night bulbs so no need to worry about bright lights

Visit our friends