New light smell!

Geckolisa

I brought a lighting kit for my geckos vivarium today.I installed the light and switched it on.A while later i could smell something.I opened the viv doors,and it was a really strong smell.It has heated up the wood at the top of the vivarium,and i think thats what the smell is.Does anyone else have,or had this problem? He has a heat mat,but i brought the lamp with red bulb to keep the temperatures up on colder days. :main_huh:

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
If it's coming from the wood it's likely the weather treatment they use to seal the wood. Also it could be finish coat they use when making the bulbs. I usually wipe off all my bulbs with alcohol swabs to remove any manufacturing residue before using them just in case. Make sure the bulb is completely dry before trying to use it or it could explode. if it's the wood hon I don't know what to tell ya, sorry.

Geckolisa

Thankyou for your reply.Its definatly the wood,the heat is reflecting back up to the top of the vivarium from the bulb.I dont know if putting something reflective above where the light is would help?What do you think?

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
I don't know how that would work. I would try a lower wattage infrared first if it's doing that to your wood. Can you post a pic of your viv to give me a better idea then maybe we can come up with something.

Geckolisa

PB210257.jpg

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
Ok that wood is likely laminated particle board. If it is not, it is def. stained wood. The best I can offer is trying a lower wattage infra red or a blue moonlight bulb insted to see if that helps or contacting tthe viv manufcturer to see what they suggest to do about the smell. Are you sure it isn't anything coming off teh floor substrait from teh infra red beating down on it? What's on the floor? Are you using the infra red to help make temps or what?

Geckolisa

Definatly not from the substrait,its ceramic tiles,and there not getting hot with the bulb on them.Its to help the air temperatures on colder days.The bulb in there is a 50w right now.

Visit our friends