New setup

kevinb

Noob breeder
So I have the what I feel is a good setup for my three and will be purchasing the final.things I need this Thursday. Here is how its going to work.

I am building a three tier metal shelf from Lowes I will wrap one of the tiers with aluminum tape enough to allow 4" flexwatt to lay on top. I will then run a 36" strip of flexwatt to heat my three tubs. The flexwatt will be run to a hydrofarm thermostat for now with intentions of getting either a helix or herpstat with time. My tubs will have a humid hide on the hot end and a cool dry hide at the other. The will have a small calcium/food dish and a small water dish. I will have 2 thermometers running to each tub one for the hot and one for the cold side. Unless I can find a cheap two probe unit for under $10 a piece. The hot side will be kept between 92-95° and the "cold" side in the mid 80s.

How does this rack setup sound....any flaws before I finish getting my goods?

Kevin Bullis

Wowoklol

So I have the what I feel is a good setup for my three and will be purchasing the final.things I need this Thursday. Here is how its going to work.

I am building a three tier metal shelf from Lowes I will wrap one of the tiers with aluminum tape enough to allow 4" flexwatt to lay on top. I will then run a 36" strip of flexwatt to heat my three tubs. The flexwatt will be run to a hydrofarm thermostat for now with intentions of getting either a helix or herpstat with time. My tubs will have a humid hide on the hot end and a cool dry hide at the other. The will have a small calcium/food dish and a small water dish. I will have 2 thermometers running to each tub one for the hot and one for the cold side. Unless I can find a cheap two probe unit for under $10 a piece. The hot side will be kept between 92-95° and the "cold" side in the mid 80s.

How does this rack setup sound....any flaws before I finish getting my goods?

Kevin Bullis

I'm not sure I quite understand the wrapping with aluminum tape. Could you describe this a little more? The two thermometers may be a bit overkill as well. I'd just get a nice temperature gun to read the temps hot and cold in real time. Once you get them dialed in with the thermometer and flexwatt, you shouldn't have a whole lot of variation in temps unless the temps are varying wildly in the home. If this is the case, and you are uncertain of how the temps would hold then yeah, maybe throw a probe thermometer in on the hot side. I'm not sure one on each side is necessary. If the bins are big enough, there will be a temperature gradient.

You don't want to lay the flexwatt directly on the metal at all and want to insulate all of your connections to prevent making contact with the metal. Doesn't take much to send 120v through your whole rack since you are going with an all metal design and possibly start a fire. I can't say I'd recommend this setup.

If you do go with a wire or other metal rack, here's some info that may help.
http://geckoforums.net/showthread.php?t=67499
I'd keep digging. I'm sure you can find more info if you dig around. This is one of those areas you can cause a lot of trouble for yourself and your animals. Also see: Fire.

sunshinegeckos

I am going with a metal rack but I am using Heat Cable like this: http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/reptile-supplies/heat-pads-heat-panels-heat-cable-and-rocks/-/zoo-med-52-foot-repti-heat-cable/and putting aluminum tape down. I would use a temp gun. I got on for $30 so they are not that expensive and would actually be cheaper then buying 2 thermometers for every bin. If you go with heat tape you need to make sure its insulated so none of the parts touch the metal. I didnt go with heat tape because I am not comfortable setting it up but if you are then go for it :) Also another option is Tony C is selling some heatmats on the classifieds section that he says you can use with the metal racks. Good Luck :)

kevinb

Noob breeder
I will probably go with heat cable and try to achieve What Memphisreptiles did in the "our reptile room" thread. That's what I was aiming to do with the flexwatt

Kevin Bullis

Visit our friends