New to geckos...help with terrerium please

J

Julio

I am new to geckos, but I have had a beardy for 5 years. Here is my tank:

DSCN3772.jpg

DSCN3774.jpg

(yes it is a little odd that I still share a room and bunkbed with my brother despite being 18....)

SO. The stats:

12"x12"x24" Tank with mesh lid.
1 small heating rock (covered by substrate to prevent burning)
Brown turf substrate from the petstore.
1 large den
1 small den (the female get's the big one :p)
1 100watt bulb in housing.

Now, from what I hear, I should not be using a bulb at all because it could blind them. Is this true or just rumours? The guy at the petstore sold it to me....and I'm pretty sure there was a leopard gecko on the box... Anyways, I wouldn't mind getting a heating pad and getting my money back for the 40-fricken-dollar lamp housing. Since they are nocturnal, I am assuming they don't need light, but I'm not sure if light regulates their sleeping patterns or not. Ah. Sleeping. About that....

Since I got them two days ago, all they've done is sleep(?) in their little caves(day AND night :/). Is this normal? I dusted some mealworms and put them in a dish for them to snack on, but they didn't go for it. The dish has lots of the powder in it as well (I heard it's always good to have a dish of powder and that they will will know when they need more). Are they just stressed because of the new home, or is this just how leo's are? they also havn't drinken from their water dish....

Sir Cornelius is very friendly and doesn't struggle (much) when I handle him. Minerva however, runs. She will literally try to jump out of my hands and dash. For this reason I have only held her once...she wouldn't even do a proper photoshoot :( Why is she so feisty?

As of now the tank only has one source of heating (I don't use the lamp anymore) which is the heating rock. I'm pretty sure this is too cold and that might be why they are acting so weird. Hopefully I will be able to get a heating pad over the weekend.

Thanks for listening to my ramble and I would be happy for answers :)

-Julio

CHAMpion

Alright, If your willing to get the heat pad I would definitely make the switch. Leopard geckos need the belly heat to help digest their food. You will spend about the same amount though on a heating pad. They most likely aren't eating because they are adapting to their new environment. Geckos have different personalities, some will come out of their hides and see you when you approach the cage and some will run away as fast as they can. In my experience it just depends on the gecko. I would also take out the heating rock if your going to get a pad, not only do can they burn your geckos but sometimes the heat they put off skyrockets and burns them even through the substrate. The sand should probably be replaced with reptile carpet or something. They geckos can eat the sand and get compacted.

J

Julio

Thanks for the quick reply! And I'm glad my carpet looks like sand ;) To be honest, I was going to switch out the carpet for sand because it looks so damn ugly :/ Thanks for the help, I will be getting a heat pad...

Also, people say they need 'moist hides'. Where can I get one? The petstore guy didn't mention them.

ngrdawg

There are humidity caves available for sale but in the mean time virtually anything can serve as a humid hide. I now keep the majority of my geckos in a climate controlled out building in which I run a humidifier as needed. I still have one large cage inside though and for them I mist occasionally and keep some plastic food storage bowls, with a hole cut in the center for access, filled about 2/3 with moist peat moss. Or some moist paper towels placed inside the cool side hide.
As for the lighting, although they are nocturnal they still need some sunlight to process the calcium supplement they also require. So you might consider a UVB bulb. The structure of Leopard Gecko eye suggests that they were once
I use finely ground eggshells from free range chickens for a supplement as well as a commercially sold brand. Remember that it is the tank temperature and humidity that needs to be properly maintained. Making the means of attaining said conditions secondary. I would get a thermometer/hydrometer combo unit and place it in the cage to take the guess work out. Then it's just a tweak here and there as needed for optimum conditions.
Relocation can definitely freak them out but, being too cold will also make them dormant. I don't like carpet or sand for substrate as carpet can hold bacteria and sand is said to cause impaction.
Also being that you only have the two I would strongly recommend that you implement an outside of enclosure feeding strategy. Thereby removing each Gecko every day or every other day, as appetites warrant, and placing them in a separate container with some food items and allowing them their fill. In doing this you will not only greatly reduce the types and quantity of bacteria within the enclosure. Having only gecko waste as a contributing factor and not rooting insect corpses. This will have the added benefit of teaching your squirrelly female to associate being handled with being fed.

M

mushraeddur

I agree with feeding in a seperate tank. It allows me get my gecko used to being handled in a positive manner. It keeps the tank tidier as well. I have a 5 gallon tank that i heat with a light so it isn't too cool and she/he seems to like it.

L

LeoTheGodFather

As for the lighting, although they are nocturnal they still need some sunlight to process the calcium supplement they also require. So you might consider a UVB bulb.

I HIGHLY recommend NOT wasting your money on a UV bulb and assembly. The vast majority of Leopard Geckos are not going to like this. They need no extra lighting than the light that is present in your room during the day...and are perfectly fine at night with no light. You should have a dish of plain calcium powder in the tank. And every few feeding dust your food item with Calcium that has Vitamin D3 in it. The vitamin D3 helps them process the calcium. This is cheaper and will work better, since they are nocturnal animals. This powder can be found at almost any petshop.

Visit our friends