New UTH

grboxa

I have very very fine zoo-med sand substrate and I just purchased a zoomed UTH. Im also using the exo-terra digital thermometer with a probe...so if Im correct the surface temp of the substrate is what matters right?, its on 90.2 and its been running for about a hour now. I plan on getting a rheo or thermostat soon but not right away...low on cash. But if it gets to hot, my gecko wont get burned correct?, I mean if hes to hot he'll go to the cool side right?. The UTH eventually caps out output wise am I right?. Or do I really need to get a rheostat/thermostat/dimmer.

tiedxupxinxknots

Animated Geckos
most people will tell you to get rid off the sand, it causes impaction and its not worth the risk... use paper towels or tile, as for the temp question, yes the gecko will leave if its to hot. 90 is perfect but you dont want it over 94.

grboxa

most people will tell you to get rid off the sand, it causes impaction and its not worth the risk... use paper towels or tile, as for the temp question, yes the gecko will leave if its to hot. 90 is perfect but you dont want it over 94.

I understand, ive read all the debates possible, a breeder told me he raised his geckos on that type of sand for about 6 years and no problem, im going to eventually get tiles for sure...paper towel is a no no for me at this moment looks ugly, but I will switch to tile soon, your right its really not worth the risk just for looks

Snuffles379

I understand, ive read all the debates possible, a breeder told me he raised his geckos on that type of sand for about 6 years and no problem, im going to eventually get tiles for sure...paper towel is a no no for me at this moment looks ugly, but I will switch to tile soon, your right its really not worth the risk just for looks

If you're not fond of the paper towel or tile option you can always try reptile carpet. I use half tile, half carpet (his cool side is tile, warm side carpet) and it looks far nicer than paper towels. From what I've read I believe tile is closer to their natural environment but I had trouble with the UTH and the tile on his warm side because it got far to hot. However, reptile carpet does take a bit more to clean that's why I chose tile for his cool half where his chosen bathroom corner is. :main_yes:

Visit our friends