New viv/lighting

J-P

Hi

I have got a nice new viv for my gecko and have set it up with a light inside. The light is not for heat but as the shop instructed me for day light as where we are not much day light gets in!!

Now since moving in my gecko hides in his cave all the time apart from feeding were as before he was always out and about! I've read that lights inside the viv can stress the little guys out? Is this the case?

Any advise would be welcomed

Cheers

J-P

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
Lights esp. UV lighting can stress out a leo. If you need to use a ligth because the room they're in is dark and you want to make sure you have a proper day/night cycle then I would suggest just a regular 15 watt incandescent light bulb in the fixture (which will add about 2-3 degrees of heat to yuor tank) or putting a lamp in that room. Either way the light should be set up on a timer so that you are as accurate as possibe with your sunrise/sunset times and you will need to change the light with the season. I go with time and temperature's assessment of sunrise and sunset. If I'm off by 10-15 minutes with it coming on/going off (imo tho better to have it go off a little early rather than late) the leo doesn't mind so much.

Also the move itself could freak the leo out and it could take a couple few weeks for them to feel comfortable in the new place even if their tank is still the same. The outside environment IS different, different smells, different lay out, they can see/sense all that.

J-P

Might go with a red night viewing light?

Also should the hot end temp be constant 24 hrs a day or is it worth getting a day night thermostat controller?

Thanks

J-P

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
Honestly and I'm not sure if this is right but I've been leaving my night blue light on 24/7 for the time being until we turn the heat on, and the temps naturally drop at night with the ambient room temps. Desert temps drop at night so I think some drop should be provided but it doesn't have to be drastic.

Visit our friends