Newb looking to get a leopard

Meta

Right now I have a 15 gallon tank, but if I can fit it in my room, I will get a 20 gallon. But I need help. I want to know what the consensus here is on decor. Like what is the most suggested flooring, and everything. Just help me get into this thing.

PyroPanda

I'm pretty new too but what I know, I learned here:) Do lots of reading up on their care before you bring him/her home.
For the flooring you could use slate, tile, paper towels or non-adhesive shelf paper.
Make sure you have some sort of an under tank heater and a sturdy water dish that can't be tipped over.
You should provide a warm side hide, a moist hide and a cool side hide.
Other things you could add would be a food dish and a gatorade size cap to provide calcium in at all times.
That's all I can think of for necessities.

LeopardShade

Spotted Shadow
Hides are shelters that the gecko can hide under, sleep away the day, and feel secure. Since leopard geckos are nocturnal, they need a place to rest. Proper hides also prevent stress on the lizard and prevent them from feeling vulnerable and exposed by providing a dark, confined, secure place. They are a must for keeping and raising healthy leopard geckos.

Make sure you use a solid substrate, a UTH, and provide proper hiding places.

Chet1028

do a google search for "Leopard Gecko Care Sheet". You will finds lots of them and they are loaded with great info. They will give you the basics of what you need to know. I am also new to Leopard Geckos. We just bought our first Leopard Gecko last weekend and are learning as we go. This board is phenomenal and the members are very helpful and very nice. But you also need to do some research on your own.

Meta

what under tank heater do you recommend for a 15 gallon tank? websites say the small zoo med, but that measures 6x8. my tank is 12 inches deep. the medium is 8x12

PyroPanda

I have a 15 gallon tank that measures 24"x12"x12" and I have the small Zoo Med. It doesn't really matter how deep the tank is ~ it's all about the length. You put the heater under the tank (on the outside of the tank) at one end of the tank.

Meta

I have a 15 gallon tank that measures 24"x12"x12" and I have the small Zoo Med. It doesn't really matter how deep the tank is ~ it's all about the length. You put the heater under the tank (on the outside of the tank) at one end of the tank.

it doesnt have to extend from the front to the back of the tank? wont the edges be unheated?

PyroPanda

No. I have mine in the corner of the tank. I have his warm hide placed right over the heat mat area. The brown hide you see in my picture is his warm hide and that container next to it in the middle is his moist hide.

Russellm0704

it doesnt have to extend from the front to the back of the tank? wont the edges be unheated?

No it does not have to cover the entire length of the tank. This should actually be avoided. Reptiles thermoregulate. This means that they move to warmer and cooler spots to adjust their body temperature. The Undertank heater should only be on one side of the tank and this will allow your gecko to get cool when he wants to and warm when he needs to.

Meta

one more concern. should i make 2 or 3 hides? if i do a warm hide, cold hide, and wet hide, to me it seems there wouldnt be a whole lot of space for him to walk.

also, where does the wet hide go? on cool side? middle?

LeopardShade

Spotted Shadow
Generally, you want to put the "moist" hide on or close to the warm side to facilitate humidity. Heat + moisture = humidity. That is, after all, the whole purpose of the moist hide.

Leopards don't need a whole bunch of space to walk around. They'll spend all of their time during the day stowed away sleeping in their hides. But, if you feel that your gecko truly won't have enough room, you could opt for a bigger tank, but I feel 15 gallons for one lizard is plenty.

Meta

I hate to keep asking questions, but I want to do tile flooring. If the tank measures 24x12, what do you suggest i have the tile cut to if i want 6 or 8 pieces? i dont think the total length can be the same as the tank or it wont exactly fit into the tank. i think it would be too tight?

Visit our friends