Novice Rack System?

malves85

I'm looking for a small 5-6 tub rack system that is pretty much ready to go out of the box. Has the tubs, heat tape and all wired together so I just have to plug and play.

I recently started looking online and came across this Jason's Jungle website. He has a message that he stopped making racks and has a few left. Anyone know how old this message is and if he actually does have racks left? Or anyone know of used ones for sale? Seems like they are well put together.

What other high quality rack systems are out there? I want something that is professional quality.

malves85

Update after doing some research:

Jason's Jungle has infact ceased production, however he does still have units in stock. I will be taking delivery of a 5 shelf unit. It comes fully assembled with heat, tubs and wired up ready to plug in. Jason is easy to deal with and very helpful.

Another good company I found is Animal Plastics. Their racks come unassembled and without tubs so you have to do more work but from reading reviews they seem to have quality products. On their site they only offered a 7 shelf rack in the 1755 series, however if you e-mail them they can build a 4 or 5 shelf rack. I imagine they can also customize any other racks they offer so if you see something they dont have go ahead and ask.

malves85

Got my rack from Jason's Jungle yesterday. I just realized that the heat tape is run along the back of the rack. I know a lot of people put the tape right on the shelf for belly heat. I'm playing with the thermostat to try and get the surface temp of the hot side around 96 degrees. Right now the thermostat is reading 101.5 on the tape and the surface temp is only 90. I have the Spyder Robotics Herpstat ND. Does it normally take insanely long to heat up? I got home around 6pm, turned it on (set temp to 110 degrees) and its only at 101.5 now (3 hours later). Temps are climbing but at a ridiculous rate.
The heat tape says CalorIQue. I'm assuming thats the brand. Does this brand just suck and I need something better? Anyone else with this rack system care to share their experiences?
Much appreciated.

malves85

Where are the experts on this? This crap is driving me insane. Set the thermostat to 110 degrees 8am this morning. Came home from work at 6pm and it was only at 102!!! Removed the tub for only a min or two to feel the tape and then put it back. The tape is only warm to the touch. I've never used heat tape before but I thought it heated up quickly??? I moved the tub around 6pm and the temps immediately dropped to 93 degrees and have been there for the past 2 hours. It hasnt gone back up at all.

Maybe I should just take this thing apart and put the tape on the bottom instead of against the wall where it is now...

ajveachster

It sounds like you are doing everything right, so I'm not sure what exactly is causing the trouble. One suggestion I can make is to try placing the probe in a couple different places on the heat tape to see if you get the same result. We have noticed that sometimes readings can be different, and we have one little section on a particular rack that always seems to get a bit hotter than the rest. It might be that you have a piece that is not quite right, and is not getting hot enough. Also, you might want to check all the places the pieces of heat tape are connected to each other. You may have a lose connection somewhere causing the fluctuation. You sure have an interesting case going on. I see you said it has back heat. Does the entire rack have a back on it? We have noticed that racks with backs seem to hold the heat better than those that don't. We got some home made ones from someone, so we are going to put backs on them to see if it makes a difference. We use several herpstats, and have had no issues with them so I don't think it is your thermostat. Keep us posted.

malves85

No luck yet. I moved the probe and now the thermostat wont go higher than 90 degrees. Still set to 110 like it has been since I got it but It just cant seem to get hot enough. The power reads 100% so I'm guessing the thermostat is working fine and pumping the juice out but the tape just cant get hot enough.
Thats a good idea on checking connections. The rack came pre-wired so maybe something shook loose during shipping.

Jerremy - I've never owned a snake before but I would guess a 32qt tub would be fine. I think Balls only get a few feet? The tub measure 2ft by 18in, just check the Sterilite site to make sure. Check out Animal Plastics. I think I'll get my next rack from them. I've heard great things about them and the racks seem user friendly.

ajveachster

Check out Animal Plastics. I think I'll get my next rack from them. I've heard great things about them and the racks seem user friendly.

Order early as they pretty much make them as they are ordered. It will take about 6-8 weeks once you place the order. I really like our racks from them. We have 5 of the 10 shelf 375 racks and 2 13 shelf hatchling racks. I can assemble them myself, and move them a short distance if they are empty.

Visit our friends