other heat sources besides heat tape for rack systems?

sunshinegeckos

I am thinking of making a rack (right now they are on a bakers rack but I need more room) but I dont want to do heat tape because im afraid I am going to install it wrong and electricute myself or start a fire lol Is there any other options?

ElapidSVT

lolwut?
-qPam91kWTwNVgzS9hAp1GrSpXwcKQ8bVTquAMe_-tN6H5WmGdP1IjndSp2jWq4FVq0UDLJuy-KFf7r6d7CTgpr9Dt-VA_xOU1sd7m80bVS9Y-4xJgyU45xCrSDYO1_NUSdvJtbSX4OisoF_cZXPXzwN7U0OnS7SIeHun3mqAg

i used 30' of this stuff, which i purchased at the local hardware store and snaked it through the shelves on my racks. i recessed it in a channel under each shelf. the only modification was to pound a screwdriver (while the cable is unplugged) through the black disk where the thermocouple is so that it's always on. there's a pair of contacts under the black disk that just need to be forced together. whack it a couple times, then plug it into the wall to see if it gets warm. if not, whack it a couple more times and retest. they have a nice grounded cord and i've never had one fail in 15 years of use. and there's a light in the plug so you'll know when it's active.

good luck

fl_orchidslave

ZooMed heat cable (from LLL Reptile) is super easy but the surface has to be at least a mesh if not solid. It wouldn't work directly on a bakers' rack. You might find some rack systems if you keep an eye out on craigslist.

ElapidSVT

lolwut?
you'll probably want to cut a channel in the underside of each shelf like i did. a friend did it on his table saw by stacking a few blades together. took no time at all. i built my racks for lidless snake bins so everything had to be tight

Tico

this is a debate for me also ...due to the Moving and having more room for my Geckos ...i plan on building New Racks ... just not sure yet which way to go either !

Visit our friends