Please help, I have a question regarding me Leos' housing.

SidAndCira

Loves Reptiles!
I have two females, one male. They're all in a 75 gallon aquarium... Do you think it would be better to put them all in their own cages, (20 gallon longs) instead, or keep them in their tank? They all get along quite well, and the male no longer breeds (according to the vet, I brought him when he had a hemi-penal infection) so he doesn't stress the females for sex. They all sleep together, and the females are quite fond of each other. But what is best for their health?

ace bomer

geckos rule
leos do very well alone or with friends. i dont think its worth the money buying 3 separate tanks when u already hav one big one. 3 leos can be housed happily in a 3o-40gal so im sure your leos have more then enough space :)

Last edited:

SidAndCira

Loves Reptiles!
leos do very well alone or with friends. i dont think its worth the money buying 3 separate tanks when u already hav one big one. e leos can be housed happily in a 3o-40gal so im sure your leos have more then enough space :)

Thanks! I wouldn't mind spending the money if it was better for them. And I'm actually very surprised, I was warned about housing them together as apparently they can fight a lot, but these guys all love each other, I see the male gently bumping his nose into the females' and giving them a little lick, it's so cute. But wanted to make sure it was alright for them, I'm getting mixed opinions.

gmaier19

consider yourself lucky that they get along. In my experience, housing multiple leos together has always resulted in negative outcomes eventually. I'm certainly not telling you that you should separate them... just remember that one day they might get tired of each other and bite or bully, so watch for signs of this.

SidAndCira

Loves Reptiles!
consider yourself lucky that they get along. In my experience, housing multiple leos together has always resulted in negative outcomes eventually. I'm certainly not telling you that you should separate them... just remember that one day they might get tired of each other and bite or bully, so watch for signs of this.

Well I've been watching them pretty good for the last 3-4 months, then I stopped keeping an eye on them so much because of how well they were getting along. I only housed them together in the first place because Sid, my male, used to be housed with tons of females in his former home, so I didn't want him to be lonely. :( Then I heard it's better to have 2 females with 1 male, and bought another female. Now they all seem to be really close.

andrew5859

Hats Off Exotics
They should be fine as long as you're watching them and have enough hides for each of them. Also make sure they each get their fair share of food. They can bully one out even if they look like they are getting along.

SidAndCira

Loves Reptiles!
They should be fine as long as you're watching them and have enough hides for each of them. Also make sure they each get their fair share of food. They can bully one out even if they look like they are getting along.

There are a total of 5 hides, and two dishes where I put around 10 worms in each. Is that good? Or maybe more dishes? :D Thanks!

getgeckos

you might want to put more than 10 worms in each. Some days my geckos eat more than 10 worms each. (i have 5 females in a 90 gallon). Just put the remaining uneaten worms back in the container in the morning to gutload again.

ace bomer

geckos rule
leos actually thrive when their alone so ill just leave the choice whether to put them in separate tank up to you. but if they arent having problems then i dont c a reason to move them

Visit our friends