POLL Thermometers/Controllers Which One(s)????

Which option?

• 1 Helix to control both

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • 1 Johnson to control both

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Add another Zilla 1000 for the 2nd Terrarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Add 2 Helix - one for each tank

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Add 2 Johnson - one for each tank

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Other - please specify in the thread

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters

acharpenter

Dont ya just love polls? :main_laugh:

OK - 3 days doing research, now need your opinion!!

Currently I have a Zilla 1000 watt temperature controller on Geeks Exo-Terra 40 breeder for his UTH.

Next week I am adopting 3 Gecko's that come with a 40 breeder as well.

I have been exploring my options on how to go about controlling the UTH on the new set up. I would love to have just one controller to control both but not sure if thats a good idea...??? What if one fails, overheats, underheats one tank vs the other, etc... I may be being paranoid here.....

Done much research and I am up between a Johnson to control both, a Helix DBS-1000 to control both, 2 seperate Helix or Johnson controllers or just add another Zilla for the new tank.

Note, I am definetly not rich but I will spend what I need to for the best set up for the kids....I am considering it an investment as all my Gecko's are right around a year and I plan to have them around as long as possible....

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!!! :main_thumbsup:

PS - for any saltwater reef keepers out there - I currently have an AC3 controller on my reef tank - is there any sort of controller for a Terrarium? Curious......

Everyone loves pics of course.......new stand arrived today to accomidate the incoming Gecko's:

The old stand to the left in the pic was so UGLY - really loving the double stand - picked it up for super cheap with FREE S/H!!! Score!

IMG_1527.jpg

IMG_1530.jpg

Last edited:

acharpenter

So here is my way of trying to bribe some votes and/or opinions out of ya'll.

In the saltwater reef keeping community - we pass on frags of our corals to new members and young members. We call it fragging it foward AKA FIF.

You get the frag free, as it grows out and you "prune/frag" it - you pass some of those frags on to other new members/younger members.

It's a win/win for everyone in the hobby!!!

If the result of this poll says get rid of the Zilla thermometer (which given the choices it compares to in this poll, says it will) I will "FIF" the Zilla to someone else in the forum.

If it goes that way I will start a new thread with details etc - will likely have the club choose who gets the Zilla based on the replies in that subsequent thread....I digress.....

NOTE - that does NOT MEAN THE ZILLA is a bad thermometer, just means it is playing against some pretty heavy hitters that are out of the park price wise in this poll.

So, does my bribe help anyone post an opinion or vote? Help a new/young Herper by posting or voting - hee hee!

No worries if not all!

TokayKeeper

Evil Playsand User
Ideally, it would be a thermostat per cage. Doing such allows to you avoid just what you fear: under heating, over heating, etc.

That said, I'm not familiar with the Johnson control, but I do run a Helix DBS-1000 on my racks. If I could afford to, I'd have a control per shelf by height (I have 4 racks, two 3 ft wide x 3 ft talls and two 4 ft wide x 3 ft tall...the 3s are stacked and the 4s are stacked, thus a control per shelf by height), but the problems faced with that are 1) affording 10 Helix/HerpStats/whatever flavor thermo one wants and 2) enough amps to the room, as well as wall outlets to accomodate all the thermos.

My room's ambient temp ranges from 78-86 (night low and day high), so my native colubrids are w/o direct heat, but my leos are heated with a DBS-1000. My igloo incubator is controlled by a grounded Herpstat ND. I'm in the process of moving, but once money is recouped I'll be saving for a 2nd Herpstat ND to control my leo gecko racks injunction with my DBS-1000. I'm opting to go the Herpstat after running my igloo incubator empty for over 3 months last year with a faulty swamp cooler cooling the house and it still maintained the temps I wanted and I can control to the tenth of a degree, whereas the Helix only does nearest degree (Helix use to make a basic system that controlled to the 10th degree).

Short answer, if you can swing it, go with the 2nd thermostat. I have the original versions of the zilla thermos (forget what they were branded as years ago) and wasn't too pleased with them for accuracy vs the digital readouts of the Helix and Herpstat.

hotnickles96

I was thinking of getting a thermostat. Not sure which one is good for me yet and price wise. Hope more people chime in on this poll so I can get some better info on what I should purchase :0)

acharpenter

Thank you so much Roger.....

After doing some research on the Spyder equipent - I have decided to go with the Herpstat II

It will control two tanks on seperate fuses with pulse technology - that means perfect on all levels

I was very impressed also with the level of customer support Spyder provides as well as the pricing and quick shipping.

The poll and this thread has not generated much info - no worries - roger posting just a one word reply helped to find me another and final option.

Got what I needed - be sure to look for the free Zilla thermometer post in the next month (have to save a little bit for the Herpstat II).

Thanks to all that replied and/or voted!!!

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
I recommend the Herpstat. They have models that can control 1, 2 and up to 4 separate areas/probes at a time from one digital controller. I use Johnsons (similar to Ranco only smaller and quieter) on my racks and snake cages, which are not proportional. I use only proportional controllers for my incubators.

Visit our friends