Probe Thermometer Question

AreUaBadfish2

Hello,

I just got a probe thermometer from Petco, I was just wondering if I should put the probe directly on the glass bottom of my Leo's cage, or on top of the paper towel for the most accurate reading of what temperature my Leo is actually feeling?

Thanks

Matt

Taquiq

JK Herp
On top of the paper towels, where your leopard gecko is feeling the heat.

Pinky81

Leave it in there all the time! And move it around in the area of your UTH so you can see if you have hot spots or cool spots. but remember give it 24hours in one spot before adjust the probe...and I would keep tabs for a week of the different temps and spots to decide if you need to make temp adjustments.

Taquiq

JK Herp
You should leave it in at all times but you don't have to. Just measure different spots like Melissa said to make sure it is pretty even. You should have it there on hot or cold days to manage temps.

AreUaBadfish2

Leave it in there all the time! And move it around in the area of your UTH so you can see if you have hot spots or cool spots. but remember give it 24hours in one spot before adjust the probe...and I would keep tabs for a week of the different temps and spots to decide if you need to make temp adjustments.

Okay thanks!

AreUaBadfish2

The temp. on the thermometer under the hide over the UTH is about 100 degrees. Is that too hot? If so, should I add more paper towels to mask some of the heat being emitted? My UTH does not have a temp. control, so this seems like the only viable solution..

Last edited:

Taquiq

JK Herp
That's a bit too high. Try putting a couple layers of paper towels and if that doesn't work you will have to get a thermostat. It should work though.

RakesRepts

I think 100f is too high as well, though you'll find some members who like to maintain that temp on the the hot side of the terrarium. I shoot more toward low 90's

Pinky81

Agreed 100 is just a smidge to hot. My hot sides anywhere from 92-96degrees. adding more papertowel is a good way of adjusting the temps. Nice job!

Visit our friends