Proper Setup for Slate Tile

TylerDurden

Hey everyone

I'm looking to use tile for the floor of my terrarium. From inner glass wall to wall it's about 36"x15.5"

So I found these ceramic tiles:
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...406&catEntryId=202072406&superSkuId=202865461

They don't look smooth and they seem like they would fit based off the measurements

My questions are:

1. Should I be looking at a slate tile instead? Is there a benefit to either one besides texture?

2. I've heard people say they use sand on the bottom underneath and to fill the small cracks in between tiles. How much/what type of sand should I be putting in underneath and in between the tiles to fill cracks? (calci-sand for instance?)

3. will a zoomed RH5 (the medium sized) UTH be able to heat through the tile or am I going to have a problem getting the temps up?

Thanks for the help!

LD404

I used similar slate, just smaller tiles and grouted in between. My tiles are about 3/8 thick too and transfer heat wonderfully just from a small ZooMed UTH. I would go with the real slate, although the ceramic may transfer heat just a little better - real slate is truly rougher. But check it out in person and see they actually feel like, if you can. Ceramic (to me) always seems sealed and smoothed, never as rough as you would like.

For the sand, I think washed playsand (home depot has) is what most people have used and would recommend for under the tile. Calcisand is no good - even if filling in little cracks and evening out the surface you still don't want your gecko to eat it! I think the idea would be to just use enough sand that the tile (slate can have very uneven thickness from one piece to another, as an example) is relatively even, and to minimize the cracks as much as possible.

TylerDurden

I used similar slate, just smaller tiles and grouted in between. My tiles are about 3/8 thick too and transfer heat wonderfully just from a small ZooMed UTH. I would go with the real slate, although the ceramic may transfer heat just a little better - real slate is truly rougher. But check it out in person and see they actually feel like, if you can. Ceramic (to me) always seems sealed and smoothed, never as rough as you would like.

For the sand, I think washed playsand (home depot has) is what most people have used and would recommend for under the tile. Calcisand is no good - even if filling in little cracks and evening out the surface you still don't want your gecko to eat it! I think the idea would be to just use enough sand that the tile (slate can have very uneven thickness from one piece to another, as an example) is relatively even, and to minimize the cracks as much as possible.

Aaah thanks you! Definitely cleared things up.

So I will go for the regular slate then, play sand and not calcisand.

Would you say grout is better than sand for filling the cracks? Will grout usually come off if I need to ever take the tiles off the glass? (I guess if I put sand down first and then grout carefully it shouldn't hit the bottom).

Also do you by any chance know if home depot cuts tiles for you? I don't really have anything to do it with, I'm in a small apartment right now. I keep finding 12"x12" but nothing that's going to fit my tank exactly so somethings going to need to be cut for it to fit.

Again thanks for the help!

Visit our friends