putting holes in plastic tubs

sunshinegeckos

I purchased my tubs now I need to put holes in them. How many holes is best? They are 18qt tubs. Or would it be best to cut a hole in the top and put mesh in? They are going on a bkers rack so the lids wont be flush with the top. Thanks in advance!

fl_orchidslave

We use a soldering iron to make holes. If using a drill, go from the inside out so there won't be any sharp points that can potentially injure your animals. We do a row, sometimes two, all around the sides close to the top. No holes down the sides in case the tub ever needs to hold water. Holes on the top only for a special purpose, like for insects, otherwise too much heat can escape. That's just how I like my gecko tubs, others may have different ideas.

sunshinegeckos

Thanks! I will be using a wood burning tool so it wont crack the plastic. I used it to make some hides out of butter tubs and it worked really well so hopefully it will work well on the plastic tubs.

LeoMerlin

Butter tubs! Now that's an idea for another moist hide. Right now mine has a 3-in-1 cave. But yea, drilling holes seems like it'd crack the plastic. The wood burning tool sounds like it should work well though since it worked for the butter tub hide :)

Visit our friends