QUESTION!!!

tyler19

Ok, so dont kill me.....but I got an Anole today and I was wondering if he could go into my planted setup with my 2 cresteds. the 2 cresteds and the anole are the same size and theres plenty of room...has anytried this?

snowgyre

The problem is that anoles require much higher temps than cresteds, so I think the climate precludes combining the two. As for mixing species, it's really hard to get away with it unless you've got exceptionally large vivaria (ie. 60+ gallons).

Truth be told though, I've mixed and matched several species in a 30 gallon tank before with no ill effects, but that was when I was first starting out. I think that in most cases mixing species isn't as bad as people make it out to be (there's a lot of perfectionist attitudes that permeate a board like this, dunno if it's out of a pretense to look professional or not, but a lot of people won't admit they do things even if they do). However, when I mix species I try to choose species that don't overlap in terms of what kind of habitat they use. For example, if I had an arboreal species already in the tank, I'd only introduce a terrestrial species.

Long winded answer, but I hope this helps! Honestly, I think cresteds and anoles are a bad combo to begin with since cresteds get physiologically stressed at the temperatures required to keep anoles happy.

C

cdeggs

Dont do it temps are off between the two species...Sorry to sound blunt

Visit our friends