Question

M

Mycah

Hey everyone I got a fat tail last night. And they told me it about 9 or 10 month. So I just want to make sure I'm doing this right. I dust it with d3 one time a week and use the pure one every feed? And I feed it other day right?

RampantReptiles

Feed as often as it wants to eat. It may only want to eat every other day. Dust every other feeding with D3 so if your feeding every other day then that is 1-2 days a week.

Sikmike

That's correct. Leave a small lid/cap of the pure calcium in your gecko's enclosure too, that is if he/she doesn't dig and throw it everywhere like mine does so I do not lol.

Or you can use Repashy Calcium Plus ICB, http://www.crestedgeckosandsupplies.com/product/R-Cal-4

You use that product every single feeding, it sticks better, has the best vitamin/mineral proportions for small geckos (leos/fatties), and I have only heard great things about it. Many breeders and owners use it and from what I can tell it is getting quite popular. I use it and can personally tell you my gecko began growing much faster when I started it, also it brings out great skin pigments so your gecko will be very vibrant. I highly recommend it, you won't have to worry about alternating days of vitamin supplements.

Some may disagree with me and say that your gecko is a full fledged adult by 8-9 months growth wise. I could very well be wrong, but I try to offer food every single day, this is until he is 12-13 months of age, where I then assume growth then halts to a point (I've heard some say they can grow/develop still up to 18 months, not talking about fat). So my logic is that I want my gecko to have as many supplements for his body for these months while developing, kind of like a small child - he's almost 10months now and takes food on random days.

That being said, please give him some time to get used to his enclosure before feeding him, I wouldn't even attempt a feeding for at least a week as he is stressed out. Just get your mealworms/crickets prepared and fully gutloaded until then. You also said feed every other day, that's a good plan when you decide he's full grown, or every two days. But remember he's a reptile and will like to frustrate you possibly by not eating when you have it scheduled. I would not be discouraged if he turns out to only eat once every 3-4 days even after settling in, your gecko knows what it's doing and what it needs as long as your husbandry is perfect. Although some people I notice have voracious eaters that eat every day or other day, they all have different personalities.

Good luck and feel free to ask questions.

- Mike

Visit our friends