Reptile Carpet

moefv

Gecko Noob
Hey guys it's me again sorry for all the questions and new threads I am just trying to take precaution before buying my Leopard Gecko. My question is "Is Reptile Carpet safe for a Leopard Gecko?" Thanks for helping in advance guys! God Bless - Moefv

GGss6

Hey guys it's me again sorry for all the questions and new threads I am just trying to take precaution before buying my Leopard Gecko. My question is "Is Reptile Carpet safe for a Leopard Gecko?" Thanks for helping in advance guys! God Bless - Moefv

oh heck yes!! it is way better than using sand!! if they ingest sand it can cause health problems! Use reptile carpet

Jaiden23

It is safer than sand without a doubt... but it does have it's problems. It cannot be sterilized which can be problematic when it comes to bacteria. Alot of people have also had problems with their leopard geckos getting their teeth and toes stuck in the fibers. I used carpet for awhile in one of my tanks but just couldn't take seeing my girl constantly needing to yank her teeth free, so I switched to slate tile and I love it. Super easy to clean, looks nice, and no more stuck leos.

I've heard other people have never had a problem with carpet, so maybe it just depends on the gecko. Personally I wouldn't recommend it just based on past experience, but it is alot safer than some of the other options out there.

pmkent1

Ephesians 4:1-6
The only thing Ill add to that is to be sure and seal the slate beforehand. Slate's a pretty porous stone and the liquids from the poo can seep into it. If you dont trust the sealer but you want to use a tile, Id say use a porcelain tile. Ist 100% non-porous, and you can even find some that looks just like slate.

aella

I don't recommend reptile carpet. You cannot completely sanitize it and the geckos' often get their toes and teeth stuck on the carpet.

Tile, paper towels, or newspaper are the best substrates you can use, in my opinion.

GGss6

Thanks guys! I will be using paper towels. God Bless - Moefv

sand can cause a ton of health problems but when you have had your gecko for a while and she is fully grown you CAN switch to sand. I have it and no problems yet (knock on wood). I love the cool natural desert look of it. Just understand the risk that you are putting your gecko through.

Jordycakes

Jordy&Kirsty
Tbh i use mostly tile and have timmed the out part of the tank with reptile carpet iv not have any problem with it YET! but im currently waiting on new vivs so ill tile the lot :D

Visit our friends