Sand question

Neville

Snow Gecko
Im feeding my guy in large dishes. He lives in a 15 gallon shown below. If I use sand at some point, can he still ingest it? Would it still be an issue if he eats only from his dishes?

attachment.php

Jordan

hard to say. if he its out his dish then theres no chance of him digesting WHILST eating, however there is still chance that he can digest it still. some geckos digest it in the hope it is a source of calcium.

MiamiLeos

:wall::wall::wall:

In essence, yes. While he is shedding, looking for extra calcium or vitamins, or just roaming around licking his environment.

Jordan

the tongue flick that geckos do is another sense of theirs, they smell and detect chemicals and stuff with their tongue. so they do this very often. so they will lick up sand.

Ambiguous_Geckos

I have a setup with a 20 gallon tank for one of my geckos and have had sand for the entire life of the gecko. I've had no problems with the use of sand and use dishes to feed mealworms. I seen no change in health of my gecko and he is a health 115 grams. So if you wan to make the change there will be no problem.

MiamiLeos

I have a setup with a 20 gallon tank for one of my geckos and have had sand for the entire life of the gecko. I've had no problems with the use of sand and use dishes to feed mealworms. I seen no change in health of my gecko and he is a health 115 grams. So if you wan to make the change there will be no problem.

It's fine if you would like to put your own animals at risk but I do not see anything good with advising others to do so.

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
Depends on the gecko I think. I have kept my leos on sand before, they seemed to do fine on plain repti-sand. I don't think its too much of a problem if it gets a little sand in its mouth. HOWEVER, out of the 10 geckos I have, I do have one (Hardee) that cannot live with any particulate substance, he eats them by the mouthfuls. I cannot even use sphagnum moss in his wet hide, he eats them too!

Off topic, may I ask where you get your rock hide? It looks like small boulder caves I'm using now, but can't seem to find them anywhere now - especially the dark grey ones.

Visit our friends