Sand spot okay?

Calift

I am in the process of planning a natural-looking for for my first leo.

I would like the home to be aesthetically pleasing to the eye, engaging for my pet, and present not health hazards. Right now I'm planning on building grout platforms (have for other reptiles) and using slate as my primary flooring. However, I would like to create an area of the tank and fill it with sand, to allow my leo to dig...sort of like a sand playground.

I want your expert opinions. Will my leo actually use it or is it just presenting a danger?

Franklinj480

I had sand filling the gaps in between ceramic tiles. He lost his sand privileges when I found a few poops of his full of the stuff.

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
Using sand even in partial decor can be risky as james mentioned, some leos just can't resist eating it whether thru accident or intentional licking of it. I have seen people use partial sand on half and slate on the other and things were just fine, then people like James who have the most minimal amount and their leo laps it non stop. It's really hit and miss. If it'd wort it to you to take the risk for asthetics then by all means give it a bash, just make sure it's not calcium sand and it is super fine grain and your leo's eating station is far far away from it. I wouldn't recommend the excavator sand as I understand it dries very hard if it's the stuff I'm thinking of. Your leo can accidentally eat a large chunk as it also tends to break up a bit and shed pebbles.

Just an Fiy... leos don't come from loose sand deserts. They come from packed earth regions and livein the mid-level desert range in rocky craigs and formations so if you wanted to go natural then I would pick decor found in this level of the desert for your tank. I went with a very natural tank with tons of real stone, and jhigh end vinyl simulated slate tiles for flooring. There's some pictures in my profile photo album if you'd like to look, see if it gives you any ideas on decor.

im faster

Should Slow Down
Really its up to you and is it a risk your willing to take.. with ANY loose substrate there will ALWAYS be a chance for impaction..

However.. if you become knowledgeable about leas and you are able to notice the trouble signs. AND you have the other husbandry of the cage set up PROPER! the risks can be very minimal.

So, if you do not feel you know enough about a leo to notice the trouble signs of impaction or other problems i would not advise it.

Calift

Thanks for the replies ... I really appreciate it!

I understand its a risk, though I've heard other say its minimal. Of course, I don't want to pose a threat if I don't have to- but from my understanding Leos are ground-dwelling species. They probably live in rocky outcrops on top composed of dirt, sand, smaller rocks and grasses. I wonder how often they die of impaction in the wild .... well either way thats one natural part I don't want to replicate :)

Visit our friends