Seeking Suggestion for being alerted when Temps fall too low

wny_luke

Can anyone suggest an alarm or monitor of some sort that will sound if your temps drop unexpectedly? I was looking around online and didn't find anything.

If you are interested in reading more - the reason I'm looking for one is outlined below.

Well, a bit of surprise for me last night. As I was going to bed, I noticed the thermostat for my LG cage was reading 50F. When I went to adjust the temps of the thermostat or check the lows/highs it just blinked 50F. The separate thermometer I have for the warm side substrate was reading 67F.

I plugged the UTH directly into wall outlet and it started heating up immediately. I then reset the power on the thermostat and it returned to normal behavior. Once the thermostat was behaving correctly again, I plugged the UTH back into it.

Needless to say, this gave me quite a scare. I'm not sure how long the tank was without heat, but thankfully Leroy was fine. I held him while the tank was heating up because I thought it would be warmer than sitting in the cold tank.

I'm seeking the alarm/monitor to prevent this situation from happening again.

I know the thermostat I use now is suspect and I will be paying extra close attention to temps while I contact the manufacturer.

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
Most temperature alarm systems are generally designed for computers from what I've seen and cost anywhere from $75-$400. Not a cheap date. And at that they usually only alarm when temps go to high not too low, altho you can find what is called a "Freeze alarm" http://www.diycontrols.com/c-187-freeze-alarms-temperature-alarms.aspx?gclid=CIrb8_7wo6cCFUGo4AodKmuLBg&. Here's a site I found that does sell them. You'll have to read each individually to see which include an alarm feature: http://www.microdaq.com/data-logger/temperature/1.php?gclid=CMf71aDwo6cCFYh_5QodSGhCDg . Keep in mind tho that neither a freeze alarm or the other ones I posted were ever intended for use in a herp type environment so you'd have to rig it to meet your needs.

Honestly your best bet is to invest that money into a really GOOD thermostat and then things like this shouldn't be a concern.

wny_luke

Thanks for the suggestions Kel. I do have a very good thermostat, I didn't want to mention the manufacturer until I looked into the situation some more. It's from one of the top brands that start in $120 range.

I'll look into the sites you provided and see if I can find something that will suit my needs on the alerting side.

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
You're welcome. Let me know if you find something that will so we can make sure it gets remembered for future use in case someone else asks the same thing :)

Visit our friends