Setting up a bigger tank

Bbugs

Animal Addict
Hello all, it feels like forever! I love this community.

I am getting a baby leo soon, and I need to set up a bigger tank for my adult leo. It is a 20 gallon long, and has slate for substrate. I am not sure what heat pads are recommended for a tank with slate.

Do I also need a rheostat? If I do, do you have any recommendations?

Basically, I am starting fresh with this tank. I need a heat pad, rheostat?, and thermometers, and I would love advice!

I will upload a picture of the tank as is, right now.

Pdrut

Pudrut
Hi, I recently moved my gecko over to a 20 gallon long tank with slate tile as well.
I am using the 30-40gallon ZooMed UTH as the 20L tank has the same dimensions as a 29 gallon except for the height.
I would recommend a thermostat in order to maintain a constant temp. I use a ZooMed ReptiTemp 500R Remote Sensor Thermostat. It may be cheaper than others, but it gets the job done.
You will also need a thermometer with a probe as well to check the temperatures and make sure they are correct, as the 500R thermostat does not have a gauge that tells the exact temperature, so you will need to work with it a few minutes.

Good luck!

Pdrut

Pudrut
Yes, those are both the ones I use.
And with the thermostat you just place the sensor in the warm hide next to the thermometer probe and it keeps the temperature maintained. It doesn't actually measure the temperature which is why you need the thermometer.
Once you set the thermostat up I spent about 15 minutes messing with the turn knob to reach the right temperature. After that, just sit back and let the thermostat control the temperature for you - much easier than a rheostat as it only decreases or increases the heat manually.

Hope I've helped! I know this forum helped me get my setup going :)

Visit our friends