Slate tile and UTH heat conduction?

PaladinGirl

From what I've read on here, slate tile is one of the best substrates to use because it conducts heat well and looks natural, etc. I now have it in 2 of my 3 tanks and it seems to be working great (with one exception, read on to see)..

In the midst of installing the slate, I started wondering about its compatibility with the UTH. With it being thicker than some of the other substrates (like paper) does the UTH have to "work harder" to heat the slate? I'm worried about the glass on the bottom of the tank cracking (the UTH instructions warn against this when using a substrate that is too thick). I'm keeping track of the temps and so far, all is well. It doesn't seem like I'm having to adjust the heat a whole lot, at least not on Toon's tank..

Epic's tank had a Zilla heat mat (Toon's is a Zoo Med, and Hugzor's is an Ultratherm). It heated up the slate really good the first couple days, then I noticed the temps were dropping and I was having to go up on the dimmer by quite a bit. Plus, it was making a strange buzzing noise (at first I thought it was the dimmer, but on closer inspection, it was definitely the UTH making the noise). So I hurried to the store and bought a Zoo Med. I think those Zillas are kinda crappy anyways; I have to wonder if it was starting to go bad before the slate. I think it was possibly overheating because the bottom of it felt quite hot but it was barely maintaining temps on the surface of the slate.

And just FYI, I got the thinnest slate I could find; it's just a tad over 1/4" thick.

Someone please ease my mind! :)

PaladinGirl

Oh, and another thing. I have my tanks on stands with open bottoms, so I only use the rubber feet to lift the tank up enough to keep it from resting on the UTH cord. When it's cold, I do put a piece of cardboard loosely under the tanks.

5HiddenLizards

Tight Budget Herping
All my UTHs are ZooMed. So far no problems with them. They do drop temps during the colder months, although I've never tried insulating them. I know the rocks conduct heat well, so the tile should pick it up. My tanks are on those big metal storage shelves, so the bottom is open. Hopefully it was just the UTH that was faulty.

{Sent from Samsung Epic via Tapatalk}

Visit our friends