Slate tile wipe down

PaladinGirl

Well, I did it! I ditched the paper bag substrate and went for slate tile!! It was time to do a complete cleaning of Epic's tank today, so that's who gets to test out the tile, lol! So far so good. Going to put some in Toon and Hugzor's tanks in another week or so.

I am just wondering something. What do those of you who have slate tile or similar use to wipe down the poop area? I have some things called Jurassi Wipes. I also keep baby wipes handy for wiping down their hides every few days. The baby wipes probably won't get rid of the poop smell, however. Any suggestions, perhaps something homemade that is safe for a quick spot cleaning?

doublet74

When your gecko chooses its spot just put a folded up paper towel there and change it everyday. Thats what I do. No need to wipe anything.

prettyinpink

+1 for Healthy Habitat!

Never used it

I just use baby wipes, or for more harder ones I use Vinegar/water mix. Spray it and let it sit for a little bit. Or if it's really hard I just use dish soap :p (Usually for bearded dragon ones...) My leos don't seem to need scrubbing if you're washing right away.

ryshk003

Quinn
Slate Cleaning

The slate tile that I picked up was really layered (I've seen slate that's relatively smooth, mine definitely was not) I have a hot water tap (190 degrees) I would remove Marley (my gecko) from the tank and set on a rag soaked with the hot water. That loosened everything up. I'd then wipe it off with more hot water. I also had an old tooth brush I used to make sure that it was clean down in the little texture grooves too.

I try not to use chemicals in my vivarium as much as possible.

About the baby wipes- I'd go after it with plain water afterwords. I didn't realize until I started taking care of pediatric cancer patients how much damage just the detergents/alcohol in baby wipes can do to their (super) sensitive skin- so I'd be a little wary about what that could do to the gecko's little palms or if he could be absorbing any of it.

Nice upgrade to the slate though- it can be really beautiful!

Visit our friends