Slate tile

SDCowboy

Okay so today I finally got some really nice slate for the substrate and it looks amazing. With that I have a temp issue. I use a UTH but the floor temp seems to be hovering around 85*. I'm using a heat lamp also right now just to help bring it up to temp and maybe it's just really slowing rising but am I supposed to have the UTH directly under the tile with slate or just leave it under the tank? It's standard .5" thick slate.

SDCowboy

Anyone? The thermometer probe last night showed it around 95* with the light on but when I woke up this morning after the light being off and just the UTH, the probe was reading only 82*.

Last edited:

houseb

Not sure what other peeps have done, but I keep my uth under the tank. I know when I first put my tiles in it took a while for the temp to come up (I even soaked all the tiles in hot water first to warm them up). My tile is only 1/4in thick though. I remember reading somewhere on this forum that people do put the uth directly under the slate. Not sure about that though, hopefully someone with that kind of set-up can give you more answers.

SDCowboy

You have real slate tiles that are only 1/4" thick? Never seen that before. Yeah I guess I'll have to move to UTH directly under the slate tile though with a later of paper towel between.

GeckoDude31

That slate is pretty thick. I have slate that is less than 1/4 inch and it can get around 95ish on good days. Check Home Depot--they have a lot of different styles.

SDCowboy

That slate is pretty thick. I have slate that is less than 1/4 inch and it can get around 95ish on good days. Check Home Depot--they have a lot of different styles.

Do you by any chance have any pics of your slate? I've seriously never seen natural stone tiles that are 12x12 or larger that weren't .5" thick. Generally simulated stone ceramic tiles are .25". My temp is reading 95* again right now so at least it warms back up quickly.

Last edited:

im faster

Should Slow Down
i think having the uth between the tank and slate is a bad idea..
it could over hear and short..

i kept one under tank directly on a dresser. and it burnt the dresser.. didnt catch fire but i think i got lucky

thats why i put "feet " on all my tanks

SDCowboy

i think having the uth between the tank and slate is a bad idea..
it could over hear and short..

i kept one under tank directly on a dresser. and it burnt the dresser.. didnt catch fire but i think i got lucky

thats why i put "feet " on all my tanks
Yeah with the light on during the day, the temp stays at a perfect 94-95* so I guess at night, mid 80s is probably fine for her.

Visit our friends