Smaller tank for blind gecko?

brightypink

I have a ~7 year old leo that came to me in terrible shape last year. He has since shed nicely and fattened up quite a bit, but he is missing most of his toes and never regained his vision after the pea-sized retained shed was removed from his eyes.

Ramses isn't very active, and he is happiest when he is hiding. I have kept him in the 20L he came with, but I'm starting to wonder if he would feel more secure in a smaller tank. I've kept his whole setup very consistent but a year later he still can't find his food bowl without help and seems to be utterly lost when he wanders too far from his favorite hide.

Is a bigger tank always better?

5HiddenLizards

Tight Budget Herping
You could try a 10gal. My male is partially blind & if his cage furniture is an inch off he starts panicking & can't figure out where his hide is. I would like put him in a bigger tank, but I think he'll be fine in the 10.

{Sent from Samsung Epic via Tapatalk}

fl_orchidslave

Special needs geckos can sometimes do better in a smaller home. Larger spaces can cause some anxiety if they can't see or walk around in circles most of the time, or not be able to eat or drink without assistance. It would be a case by case determination. If you think he may do better in a smaller space, try it. You can always change back. Sometimes less is more :)

LeoMerlin

Ugghhh, you hear that saying with just about anything, less is more (thinking from Graphic Design days, sorry, lol) but in the case of the animal, sounds like it may work to put him in a 10 gallon.

Visit our friends