some questions..

lizard_of_aus

Okay I've read the leopard gecko care sheet section, and I'm a little confused. I would tend to go with what the majority says, but I want to be sure. I read that leopard geckos should be kept individually, can be kept in groups of females only, can be kept in a group with one male a number of females. I have read that you can use sand as long as you keep your gecko well hydrated, I've read to never use sand (I prefer tile), that glass aquariums are not good, they are good, you don't need humid air as long as you provide a humid hide...

What I was thinking about was getting a male and one to two females and placing them in a 20 gallon long aquarium,with a screen top, and long fibered sphagnum moss for the moist hides. Also, none of the articles specified what size UTH to use...just that if it didn't heat the tank to the correct temperature to buy another one. I don't really want to keep buying things until I find the right size; that's just a waste of money. Does anyone have any advice on what size to use for a 20 gallon long? Does what I want to do sound okay or do I need to make some changes? Should I keep the females in one tank and the male in another?

BGalloway

I would suggest only housing a male and females together if you want fertile eggs and are prepared to deal with the consequences. Otherwise boy in one tank and girls in another, with a backup tank ready in case they don't get along.

Some under tank heaters will have size printed on the box, ie fits 10gal-20gal, fits 20gal, etc. The way I was told to chose an undertank heater was you wanted about 1/4 to 1/3 of the tank bottom to be covered, that allows enough room for a thermal gradient and a big enough "hot-spot". If the size isn't on the box but measurements are I'd say to remember that a piece of paper is 8.5"x11" and use that as a size reference, ie does you tank need a piece of paper sized heater, or half a piece of paper, or something in between.

Hope this helps, and your question would get seen more if it was posted in the leopard gecko section.

Visit our friends