Styrofoam hide making it too hot?

Franklinj480

Hey I've got UTH under my DIY hide (styrofoam/grout), and it seems to have an oven effect. I'm using ceramic tile as substrate and currently have 6 sheets of papertowel separating the tile from from the bottom glass. I moved the UTH so that only a fraction of it under the hide, I'm shooting for 94F max.

I've ordered a rheostat but it'l a week until delivery.

My question is, how hot is too hot? Before I made the changes the surface temperature inside the hide was 101.5F. Current temp is 91.4F but slowly rising as the Arizona day heats up.

I don't want to cook my baby : (

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
Generally most try to keep max temps around 95-100*f. As long as you're providing your leo a temperature gradient and adequate hides in both hot and cool sides your leo should move to thermoregulate if he gets too hot. If you think your cool side is too hot (like over 85*f) you can put a frozen bottle or a dish with some ice cubes in it on the cool side to bring temps down.

Last edited:

roger

Generally most try to keep max temps around 95-100*f. As long as you're providing your leo a temperature gradient and adequate hides in both hot and cool sides your leo should move to thermoregulate if he gets too hot. If you think your cool side is too hot (like over 85*f) you can put a frozen bottle or a dish with some ice cubes in it on the cool side to bring temps down.

Hey Dog Shrink,Thats the exact answer I would have given.It seems you and I were debating that exact info 3-4 months ago :D:main_yes:

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
Hey Dog Shrink,Thats the exact answer I would have given.It seems you and I were debating that exact info 3-4 months ago :D:main_yes:

Yes we were and don't get me wrong, i'd still debate you on it :) . I keep my hot side at 93*f, turn it down if it gets to 95 and get a lil nervous if it hits 98. I think optimum range should be between 93-95*f max BUT that doesn't mean a leo can't tolerate exposure at even 100*f for a short period as long as a proper gradient is provided :)

For the op a long as you can keep that gradient you should be fine but make sure you have hides he will want to use there as well. My eros wouldn't use his cold side for the longest time because he didn't like the hide. He would stay in his hot side once at 101*f for hours. Once I enclised the cool side rock formation a bit more it was much more appealing to him.

roger

Yes we were and don't get me wrong, i'd still debate you on it :) . I keep my hot side at 93*f, turn it down if it gets to 95 and get a lil nervous if it hits 98. I think optimum range should be between 93-95*f max BUT that doesn't mean a leo can't tolerate exposure at even 100*f for a short period as long as a proper gradient is provided :)

For the op a long as you can keep that gradient you should be fine but make sure you have hides he will want to use there as well. My eros wouldn't use his cold side for the longest time because he didn't like the hide. He would stay in his hot side once at 101*f for hours. Once I enclised the cool side rock formation a bit more it was much more appealing to him.

If we agree why debate! I agree with you 100% Dog shrink.You're coming around

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
My mom always said I should have been a lawyer as I love a good debate. And we do still differ a bit. You usually say 95-98*f is good whereas I believe 88-93 (maybe 95) is a good range so a lil different but thanks for thinking I was coming around :D

Last edited:

roger

My mom always said I should have been a lawyer as I love a good debate. And we do still differ a bit. You usually say 95-98*f is good whereas I believe 88-93 (maybe 95) is a good range so a lil different but thanks for thinking I was coming around :D

No..i dont think you have been reading my threads.If you check my posts almost all of them say 88-95 degrees.On a few occasions I might have I said 95-98.When u search my threads make sure u read ALL of them .

Last edited:

Visit our friends