Suggestions for winter temperature management?

russe306

Hey
I am having trouble keeping floor temperatures warm. It has been between high 60s to low 70s. I would like it to be in the 80s. The top of the 29g tank keeps in a range of 80s to 90s on the warmer days. Being in Michigan the winters get cold. Right now i have all my available heat sources on the tank and its not helping much. I weight my two geckos at least 5 times a week and haven't seen any changes. Health is good. I am just wondering, what would be a better option: stronger bulbs or larger heat pads or both? Right now i have three 60w red bulbs and a blue bulb on the top of the tank and two under the tank heat pads-a mini and a small by zoo med.
Is it better to use stronger w bulbs? If so how to do make sure the hot side doesnt get too hot?
:main_huh:
Idealy I would like my cool side to be 80-85 and my warm to be 90-95. Does anyone have suggestions on how i can achieve this with a house that gets about 68 in the winter and 90s in the summer? :main_robin:

thank you for your help

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
If your set up is for leopard geckos that is def. too low. I have a 20 long with a 6x11 7 watt cobra heat mat and it keeps my tank around 95-98 degrees F using vinyl tiles for substrait and the house temp staying around 66*f. I would increase the size of your UTH for a 29 gallon tank that should be at least an 11x11 sized mat. Your UTH should take up approximately 1/3rd of the underside of your enclosure.

Fencer04

Long Island Geckos
I agree with Dog Shrink, that is way too low and with a suitable size, quality UTH it should be no problem to get the warm side to around 95 degrees. Also, your goal for the cold side is a little high in my opinion. I like to keep mine around 74 and it sometimes gets as low as 70. They need to be able to make a move to thermo-regulate themselves and 10 degrees isn't a big enough difference.

Visit our friends