Tall Leo Enclosure?

Rell18

One of the petstores in my area is having a sale on some of their aquariums. They're selling 20 gallon high aquariums that measure 24"Lx15"Wx21"H for $25. I will have my new baby leopard gecko next month but I wasn't going to turn the enclosure into a naturalistic vivarium until he got a little larger. I was going to make the background climbable so that he can explore more than just the ground of the enclosure. What do you guys think? Also, do you guys think this size enclosure would be ok for a leo throughout it's life? I know most people use a 20 gallon long but I like this aquarium because it is wider. Not sure about the height though?

Tico

You have a petco near you ? there having a 1 per gallon sale ...good time to get new tanks if you need them

LeoMerlin

Yea that's why we got the 20 gallon long this past weekend because of the nice sale going on, lol. The tank I got him was 20.00 and the top was like 10.00. The last tank, which was a 10 gallon, was the same price as the new one. The original price for the 20 gallon long was 30 something I believe. I'm so glad there was a sale! I had to take the first one back because I didn't know there were cracks in it 'till after we brought it home. So took it back, replaced it, cleaned and set it up then put my Merlin in it, he is loving the extra space.

20 gallon is preferred for 1-2 sometimes even 3 from what I've read, because of the extra room, so it's great for them. Babies and juvies can live in 10 gallon tanks. I've even heard adults can stay in them their whole lives, but I would rather my guy have more space to play around in ^_^

OnlineGeckos

24x15 is bigger than a standard 10 gallon long tank, so yes it'll do your leopard gecko for life. It's kinda somewhere between 10 & 20 gallon long tanks, so it's not bad at all for $25.

I would get it, and as for climbing space, whatever you do make it safe. Leopard geckos like to climb, but they don't have sticky pads, they are not arboreal like crested geckos. So they fall a lot. If you want to utilize vertical space, which is a good thing, make sure the ramp up & down are large enough so they don't slide or fall down easily. I also wouldn't suggest building the full 21" height, that's just too high for leopard geckos. It's a long way down if they happen to fall.

So yes I'd say go for it, it's a good price for that setup. Zoo med or exo terra of similar size will cost you around $100 +/-. Just make sure the tank is in a good shape, that you can utilize an under tank heating pad with it.

Rell18

Awesome ^^ . I'm going to get the aquarium tomorrow. As for the rock background, I'm going to make it 14" or 15" tall and cover the part of the aquarium that is showing with a desert background. These tanks are also brand new so that makes them even better :)

contracteryin

Shakawkawkaw
I have a 20 tall for one leo and they're doing fine. I also have a 40 tall [my quarantine tank] and they're doing fine [will be switching that in a month or two. no money for another tank currently].
I think the 20 tall will be fine though :) just get an under-tank heater.

Visit our friends