Taming down

Eko/Kim

I'm new and have had a 3 month old gecko for about 2 weeks. I left him completely alone for a week and I am now trying to tame him down.

He's not too bad already and doesn't seem too scared when I put my hand in there for cleaning and feeding. He's never tried to bite me or anything but he does stay away from my hand as much as poss.

I am leaving my hand in the viv for 5 minutes a day, the 1st time he gave it lick but now he's not interested at all. Is he really going to start walking over it?

Thanks,

supremegecko

Wally - Supreme Gecko
Kim,
All geckos are different, and have different demeanor. However, a three month old will be more aware of 'larger' objects in their enclosure as right now, they are considered 'food' in nature :)
This one sounds like it will come around however, and it seems you have the patience to work with him.

Eko/Kim

Cheers supremegecko, I'm just not sure whether I'm going at it the right way....I'm used to snakes rather than lizards so I'm a bit dubious about him actually climbing onto my hand of his own free will! But I can certainly wait...

may cheat a little and tempt him with a waxworm ;)

phoneguy

Keep on doing what your doing. Putting your hand and letting them get used to you may take a week or a month or longer. Try a little at a time, the more they see you are not a threat the calmer they will be. Plus age will calm him also. I have a juvie that ran around the tank like an idiot every time I put my hand in, its been about a month of trying every day a little at a time and she is fairly calm when I pick her up now, and gets better every day. Don't be discouraged after a week of trying he will most likely come around.

Eko/Kim

He did it :D he walked over my hand :main_yes: did tempt him with a waxworm but still he calmly walked over my hand, absolutely awesome!!!:main_thumbsup:

M

moonieass13

congratz!

I just got my gecko almost a week ago now... he doesnt seem to scared, actually a couple days after I got him he was out when I was cleaning up after him and I just left my hand flat on the bottom of the tank and he crawled on me then returned to his hide... so I am currently just working with it a couple mins a day... put my hand near him enough to give me a lick then I leave him alone

he even comes running out at feeding time now.... I think hes got a good personality..not hiding away all day now

Eko/Kim

Thanks HJ! Was very helpful!
He's now pretty good and I even lifted my hand up. He's not too interrested if I wet my hand tho but loves to come out for a treat.... I'm trying not to give him many waxworms though, so trying other ways, if I but my hand right in front of his front paws he does tend climb on.
I even managed to weight him (42g) without traumsatising him which is usefull as now I'll know how he's doing :)

Hey Moonie sounds like yours is extra curious!!! Awesome fun aren't they :main_laugh:

Visit our friends