Thermometer Probe

vear

Hey guys, another newbie question. I have the probe of my thermometer on the reptile carpet inside his "hot" hide. If I remove the hide, the temperature reading goes down (I assume the hide is just trapping heat, so the temp. inside there is warmer than without the hide, which makes sense). So... should I be reading the temperature inside his hide or outside of it? The probe is still on the substrate, but inside the hide is about 95F and outside is cooler.

If I turn up the heat, it would be much warmer in his hide... I don't want to overheat him either... but I want him to be warm enough too.

Thanks, hope I made some sense.

Insubordinate

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you have a UTH under the hide. Your hot hide temps seem good. I wouldn't increase the temps for the hide.
If you want to raise the temp outside of the hide, you can also use a heating light.
How big is the tank you're working with?

Jordan

when he goes to use that heat he'll use the heat in the hide.. so measure the heat in the hide as you are doing. and 95 is a fine temp for it to stay at.

vear

Yes, I'm using a UTH, sorry I forgot to mention that. Ok, I just wanted to make sure I was measuring the right temps. Thank you! The air temperature on the hot side is still in the 80's, and I don't use a basking lamp, but I think it's fine with just the UTH. I actually have to turn the heat down, if I crank it up, the temp goes higher than 100F, 94F is about as low as it goes.

Oh, btw, my tank is 10gallons, he's still pretty small - I haven't weighed him yet, but I just ordered a balance :)

Last edited:

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
Your temperature is fine; you can keep the thermometer probe inside the hide, its ok as long as its not over 96-97. Do you have a thermostat? If not, you may need to monitor it more often (especially during hotter months), because as room temp rises, the heat inside the hide will increase too.

Visit our friends