Tile?

clemsonguy1125

Ive decided Id like to switch to tile but right now I can not find the right tile. At Lowes all the tiles I saw were smooth, glossy, porcelin tiles. What type do you use and where do you get them?
Thanks

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
I use a porcelain tile in my son's python's tank for his hide cover. It isn't glossy and I got it at home depot. Porcelain is the most durable. In my leo's tank I have simulated slate 12x12 vinyl tiles and he seems to dig it.

This is the porcelain one from home depot I used for the python's hide:
08d5ae1b-796e-4d8d-91f5-05cee220d5c9_300.jpg

and this is the vinyl ones I used for the leo's floor that I got at Lowes (yes it is as textured as it looks. High end simulated stone):
042369537148lg.jpg

Last edited:

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
Even with the lights in my son's python's tank there isn't any reflection offa the porcelain tile on the hide.

clemsonguy1125

Reflections can sress them out, my gecko likes looking at her reflection in the glass. I was worried about her gripping on the tiles, if they are to smooth they will not be able to walk well and get stressed out.

Knibitz

Pet Owner
I have marble tile for my high class leo. Flipped over it's a dull unpolished surface. However, I'm not using it in my tank right now because I like the look of some other tile we had laying around the house >_> I think it's porcelain, but it's all unpolished and sandy stone looking.
I wouldn't buy porcelain tiles with the intention to flip over though because you may run into the problem of a checkerboard etching on the back to help adherence. This is the case with the tile currently in my tank.

(the true story of the marble tile is that what was laying around the house since our fireplace is marble tile and we had left over. I just like letting my leo think she gets only the finest in life :p)

NWA_JTV

I'm using actual slate tile that I got at Home Depot. So far it's working quite well. The actual stone is pretty irregular around the edges, and I had to do some work to square it up. It's also highly textured on both sides, and the thicknesses vary from one tile to the next, so I had to put down a base layer of sand to even things out and keep the tiles from rocking and eliminate any crevices for feeders to hide in.

Visit our friends