Too Hot

bubbleboy

I just got an under tank heater and its getting about 103 degrees in there and I dont want to fry my Leo so how do i make the temperature go down? There is no like switch to lower it down so I don't know what to do!

EDIT: So I'm thinking of adding a little bit more substrate but I'm not sure what I should use I'm using Repti-Carpet right now.

Last edited:

LeopardShade

Spotted Shadow
You should invest in a Thermostat or Rheostat. You plug the UTH into it, and you can regulate the temperature by turning it HIGH, MEDIUM, or LOW. It works great and it definitely helps keep the heater from overheating or underheating.

bubbleboy

Repti Therm UTH and it says it ranges from 24 watts And I can't find where it tells me the rest.

bubbleboy

Repti Therm UTH and 24 watts for a 10-20 gallon terrarium size.

EDIT: I moved the probe a little out a bit and now its only about 80 degrees.. Lol.

SDCowboy

Just put paper towels under your substrate until it keeps it at the temp you want.

Franklinj480

just have some patience and give it awhile, it all depends on your substrate. some materials retain heat better than others

blueappal

I use ceramic tile and it ranges from 85 - 92, but when I was using reptile carpet it was up in the high 90s.

Tile is the way to go imho.

Tailless

Yay Thermostats!

I second the thermostat recommendation!

I got a thermostat that was marketed as a plant seed mat thermostat (on amazon.com). I got it because some of the customer reviews said that it was cheaper and better than many "reptile" thermostats.

I think this is it:

http://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-MTP...1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1307427953&sr=8-1

It seems to work well so far. I use paper towels and I tape the probe to the floor of the tank with some masking tape.

(Given some of the spitting on other threads recently, I'm sure someone will rip into me for using a seedling thermostat for my gecko... I'll let you guys know when he sprouts!:))

sunshinegeckos

I have put more paper towels down on the hot end until my thermostat comes in. You can try putting paper towels under the repticarpet until you get to the temp you want.

bubbleboy

But my Dad says that if I put the paper towels down it could catch them on fire and burn the house down. Do you think it would burn the house down?

Zencoran

Have you heard of fahrenheit 451? some people say the title references to the temp that paper catches fire. Your heat pad would need to get to 451 (oven temp) degrees to cause a hazard

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk

RampantReptiles

Have you heard of fahrenheit 451? some people say the title references to the temp that paper catches fire. Your heat pad would need to get to 451 (oven temp) degrees to cause a hazard

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk

Heat pads will not get that hot. They are specially designed to stay well below 200.. I think the hottest mine ever gets is like 110?

So no the paper towels will not catch fire.

Visit our friends