Trying get 15 Gallon right for Gecko

CallDr

I did not like a 10 gal because it just seemed too cramped. The 15 gal being 12x12x24 seemed to be enough for a single Gecko but has been a challenge picking stuff out of pet stores and Lowes semi DYI.

The green and brown looking ramp seemed to be a good addition for something to climb on. But..... mine did not like the Zilla hide for some reason and liked the ramp as a hide... but it's not really a hide. So I had to convert it into a usable hide.

So I went to Lowes where they will cut tile for ya and made a 6" stair step to cover part of the ramp.

Then I got the Tree for the other side to make it a better hide on the other end. The problem with the tree ( another option to climb ) was it was way to light to support ( stable ) mine or an adult. So I filled it with sand and sealed the bottom. Now it sturdy and will not tip over.

So here are the before and after the mods.
picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

roger

I did not like a 10 gal because it just seemed too cramped. The 15 gal being 12x12x24 seemed to be enough for a single Gecko but has been a challenge picking stuff out of pet stores and Lowes semi DYI.

The green and brown looking ramp seemed to be a good addition for something to climb on. But..... mine did not like the Zilla hide for some reason and liked the ramp as a hide... but it's not really a hide. So I had to convert it into a usable hide.

So I went to Lowes where they will cut tile for ya and made a 6" stair step to cover part of the ramp.

Then I got the Tree for the other side to make it a better hide on the other end. The problem with the tree ( another option to climb ) was it was way to light to support ( stable ) mine or an adult. So I filled it with sand and sealed the bottom. Now it sturdy and will not tip over.

So here are the before and after the mods.
picture.php

picture.php

leos arnt really climbers.If u take out the tree u might have more room.I noticed a lamp.

CallDr

Actually the tree in diameter is like a small rock ( looks bigger in pic) so it's really is not taking up much floor space and the ramp adds floor space. Mine at the moment likes to See and not be seen..... the bugger...lol. She likes peaking out and looking but not in a comfort zone to just roam around or be in the wide open.

They do like to be at a high vantage point. Yet we are right back at the comfort zone. The tree is also supposed to act as a reason to hunt crickets if they climb on or up the tree. The ramp also.

Honestly..... I don't know what the heck I am doing being new to this.....LOL! But I'm trying.

See the Gecko in the tree?
picture.php

Last edited:

roger

Actually the tree in diameter is like a small rock ( looks bigger in pic) so it's really is not taking up much floor space and the ramp adds floor space. Mine at the moment likes to See and not be seen..... the bugger...lol. She likes peaking out and looking but not in a comfort zone to just roam around or be in the wide open.

They do like to be at a high vantage point. Yet we are right back at the comfort zone. The tree is also supposed to act as a reason to hunt crickets if they climb on or up the tree. The ramp also.

Honestly..... I don't know what the heck I am doing being new to this.....LOL! But I'm trying.

See the Gecko in the tree?
picture.php

what about belly heat? Has to be 90-95 degs.Also I dont see a humid hide.Calcium dish ??

CallDr

The calcium dish ( non D3) is made of crystal ( for salt ) and is in the back left hand corner. I have seen her lap it up many times. There is a Zoo Med UTH also on the back left hand corner. The light is just for viewing. The temp right now is not a problem. She goes back and forth from the hot and cool hide.

What I do for a humid hide is I use Rep Carpet that I keep moist that is under the Ramp ( cool ).

The green dishes is one for water and the other mealworms. She is eating on an average 2 crickets and 1 large mealworm a day. She poops on a regular and irregular time schedule. Nothing drastic so far as eating and pooping.

I was told she is a juvenile around 5 or 6 months old ( 7" long and sheds every 3 weeks for now ) and they are known to become more stable in a few more months and get settled down in her environment both in and out of the tank.

It's easy to tell what she likes and not. Or not so sure ,like the tree. She is OK with the tree but has yet to Venture on getting on it or climb it. She is very cautious at this time or stage.

Even when I take her out. It takes her a few minutes to decide or make up her mind all is well. I don't force her or make quick movements. I just lay my hand down in front of her till she decide to climb on it. Then all is good. I normally take her over to my couch where she can climb on me a while and on a blanket to let her just roam.

I will say right now ( which maybe normal) she is slow to do anything and appears to not be 100% sure all is well and like I said. No comfort zone as I would see it.

She is eating and growing. So thats a good. She sheds with no problems.

I'm just new with this my first Gecko and going through a learning curve.

Last edited:

CallDr

Taking Tank pics are hard lol. I just took these while she was out chillin. I did see her use the stairs I made yesterday to getup on the ramp. So that was a good thing to see.

The other thing I did but did not mention was the plastic screen material I put on top of the tank lid to defuse the over head light. It is screen and not air tight....... in case you wondered.

picture.php
picture.php

Last edited:

roger

The calcium dish ( non D3) is made of crystal ( for salt ) and is in the back left hand corner. I have seen her lap it up many times. There is a Zoo Med UTH also on the back left hand corner. The light is just for viewing. The temp right now is not a problem. She goes back and forth from the hot and cool hide.

What I do for a humid hide is I use Rep Carpet that I keep moist that is under the Ramp ( cool ).

The green dishes is one for water and the other mealworms. She is eating on an average 2 crickets and 1 large mealworm a day. She poops on a regular and irregular time schedule. Nothing drastic so far as eating and pooping.

I was told she is a juvenile around 5 or 6 months old ( 7" long and sheds every 3 weeks for now ) and they are known to become more stable in a few more months and get settled down in her environment both in and out of the tank.

It's easy to tell what she likes and not. Or not so sure ,like the tree. She is OK with the tree but has yet to Venture on getting on it or climb it. She is very cautious at this time or stage.

Even when I take her out. It takes her a few minutes to decide or make up her mind all is well. I don't force her or make quick movements. I just lay my hand down in front of her till she decide to climb on it. Then all is good. I normally take her over to my couch where she can climb on me a while and on a blanket to let her just roam.

I will say right now ( which maybe normal) she is slow to do anything and appears to not be 100% sure all is well and like I said. No comfort zone as I would see it.

She is eating and growing. So thats a good. She sheds with no problems.

I'm just new with this my first Gecko and going through a learning curve.

Here is a pic from 4 weeks ago and she has since shed. She is on my granddaughters hand.
picture.php

What are the temps on the warm end.??

Hiccup

I think that looks very nice! My leos LOVE to climb. I got my female this tall mountain thing that's supposed to be a fish tank decoration. It doesn't have any sharp edges. She spends most of her time either sleeping on top of it or climbing up and down it. Sometimes she climbs the fake cactus attached to her water dish. She would go nuts if she had a tree like yours. Maybe in time your girl will become semi-arboreal too, lol.

CallDr

Roger, temps were not the problem as I stated (using the UTH) . Plus there was a cal dish you did not see or the moist place. The issue was the Cool hide. I showed how I converted the Ramp into a usable or better Hide...... which has worked out great. :main_thumbsup: ;)

Last edited:

Visit our friends