Underweight Gecko?

SassyAbi

Ok so I was just comparing my leo's weight to others of the same age and he seems extremely under weight. I weighed him yesterday for the first time and he's 21g. He is 4 months old and im sure he's meant to weight more.

Can anyone tell me if this is too light and if theres anyway to fatten him up. I feed him gutloaded crickets daily and leave mealworms in a dish for him always. He's been starting to lose his appetite, I have just recently gone back to crickets as he's been on mealworms for a month and needs variety so i started feeding them again after a month of not feeding them.

Hope this clear. Some advise would be great. Heres a picture of him:

DSC02360.jpg

DSC02398.jpg

Palor

Chaotic Nights Reptile
Some Leos grow faster than other, just feed him as normal and take care of him. Not every leo is going to be 65g at their adult size.

gmaier19

yea agreed, he just looks like he'll end up being a smaller gecko thats all. his tail is fat and thats really what you need to look for.

if hes not eating as much it could be because its getting colder (like mentioned above) which is natural. if you dont like it tho you could always warm up the tank with another heat source and his appetite should increase.

also, make sure you are dusting the food with calcium and vitamins if you are not.

Srt14292

Est; 1992
I have got a little mack enigma with the same problem he is growing slowly, not exactly a problem just slower then the rest of the hatchlings, he has only just reached 27grams.
But the tail is fat so its all good, as long as he seems healthy, keep an eye on him and hopefully he will pile on the weight in the new year.

SassyAbi

Ok, I thought that he could just be a smaller gecko kind of like when you get the runt of the litter in dogs. I always dust his criks every over day with calcium and vitamins once a week. He seems healthy enough but he doesnt come out much and hides almost all day, but then again i have just got him a new viv 2 weeks ago. I hope he'll pile on the weight in the new year.

ILoveGeckos14

Do you keep a calcium dish in with him? He might not be getting enough calcium which can cause them to be smaller for their age.

Visit our friends