Using heat cable for a rack system...

RoflGecko

Im thinking about using heat cable (zoomed heat cable? any other recommended heat cable brands?) for a 12 quart rack system.... And I was wondering if you only had to do 1 router slit, so that you only had 1 section of heat cable running on each shelf, or if you have to double it up so that there's 2 sections of heat cable per shelf.
So, is just one section of heat cable enough to create a big enough hotspot? or should it be doubled up?

Hopefully that made sense, if not just post in the thread and I'll try to clarify more lol.

RoflGecko

I'm well aware of heat tape. One of my racks I have now is runned with heat tape. Im just thinking of trying heat cable out because its cheaper (if you only have to run it once on each shelf), and just to experiment different options.

neubauer geckos

Anthony Neubauer
I doubled mine up.I didn't cut slits in mine though.Instead,I bought another board that's just a tad be thicker than the heat cable.I cut the same dimensions as my melamine,except I left like 3" at the back for the cable.It works VERY well.The tubs slide nice and easy.

OneFootedAce

I dont use heat cable, so dont take my advice like it's written in stone, but I know of at least 1 breeder who uses heat cable with only 1 section of heat cable per shelf (for hatchlings, not to sure if she uses it for adults too...), and it's a fairly established breeder, so it does work, however doubling up may be a better idea for a bigger hot spot. 1 line of cable, will probably make a 3 inch heater area in the tub (just guesses), which probably is enough.
IMO it's totally up to you, as both seem to work.
Maybe someone else who actually uses heat cable can shine some more light on this lol.

neubauer geckos

Anthony Neubauer
I would definately double it up.I double mine up,and it works great.I asked a while ago when I was building mine,and everyone said that I should.

Retribution Reptiles

Stripe King
We use heat cable w/ our Animal Plastic Iris Racks. The cable that comes w/ the racks i would say the cbl is more of a commercial grade that you won't find in pet stores. It reminds me more of the heat cables that you would find to wrap your pipes in in the winter months. (if you're not from a state that it drops below freezing for many months out of the year you would have no clue about this)...

RoflGecko

We use heat cable w/ our Animal Plastic Iris Racks. The cable that comes w/ the racks i would say the cbl is more of a commercial grade that you won't find in pet stores. It reminds me more of the heat cables that you would find to wrap your pipes in in the winter months. (if you're not from a state that it drops below freezing for many months out of the year you would have no clue about this)...

So are those generally safe to use(w/ thermostat or rheostat) then? and is the cable on the AP racks doubled up? or is it a single "channel"/groove?

Retribution Reptiles

Stripe King
Single channel groove. you may wish to contact AP to verifiy where they get their heat cbl from. I honestly don't know if they will tell you or not but it's worth a shot. I know i can call em up and get replacements if needed

RoflGecko

Single channel groove. you may wish to contact AP to verifiy where they get their heat cbl from. I honestly don't know if they will tell you or not but it's worth a shot. I know i can call em up and get replacements if needed

Thanks for the help thus far. I'll shoot em an email.
How does the single channel work? create a big enough hot spot for adults?

Retribution Reptiles

Stripe King
oh yeah. i use the mens shoe box from the container store for all my adults and they have plenty of room. I put my probe right on the heat cable and have my temps set to 105 I think which gives about a 89-92 gradiant at any given time. The temp of my gecko room normally runs about 77-79 ambient air temp. We use the herpstat's from spyder robotics and they work great for us.

RoflGecko

oh yeah. i use the mens shoe box from the container store for all my adults and they have plenty of room. I put my probe right on the heat cable and have my temps set to 105 I think which gives about a 89-92 gradiant at any given time. The temp of my gecko room normally runs about 77-79 ambient air temp. We use the herpstat's from spyder robotics and they work great for us.

Sweet. Thanks a ton for all the help.

Visit our friends