uth and mrble dresser?

Desdemona

So, the location for my tank is on top of this massive dresser I have which also has a dark marble top. I have read that darker marble doesn't show hot pan damage as much as light, so how does a UTC heating pad compaire to a pot and pan? I know the heat has to be much less since we are not cooking geckos.

Do you think it will be ok?

tlbowling

Geck~OCD
IMO, I think you'd be OK, just remember you still need to lift your enclosure up a little of the surface too so the heat pad has "breathing room" and doesnt over heat.

Desdemona

yea, the pad I bought has little feet.. though they are pretty little. I might find something a little more suitable this weekend... I could put a laptop fan under it, haha (if I had one big enough I'd be tempted, though without turning it on of course).

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
When you consider the average UTH doesn't get above 100 degrees think... we're 98.6, I don't think if you were to leave your hand on a marble top for any period of time it would scar it. Also I have a piece of plastic styrofoam under my UTH holding it in place. It's porous so it breathes, and tall enough to hold the UTH in place. I don't think it would damage it.

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
I would also put something between the UTH and the marble top, because heat will be lost to heat up the whole marble top and your tank might not be warm enough. I once had a similar setting (tank on bay window with marble top), the floor temp in the enclosure never got over 86F. It worked fine after I put a 10mm thk cork board beneath the UTH to divert the heat upwards.

SA Leopards

Your marble should be fine, marble is a metamorphic rock that formed when ?sandstone? was placed under extreme Temps and Pressures during tectonic events or intrusions of magma. And with extreme temps I mean thousands of degrees! So you will be safe! If it makes a mark you where ripped off and it aint marble! :lol: Hope this puts you at ease! But like Gothra said, the heat from the uth would dissipate into the marble a lot, so putting some wood or cork would go along way!

Desdemona

Oh, the cork is a good idea, you are right, his floor hasn't gone above 86 degrees. At least it is better than it was with just the lamp. I will have to grab some cork as soon as I can.

Visit our friends