UTH Choice

Andski

My vivarium is 23" x 15". In terms of an UTH, what size am i roughly best to go with? Is 11" x 11" ok? The only other size by this brand which is logical is the 6" x 11". Which would you say is the better choice? I was thinking of the ultratherm heat mat. Along with a thermostat by the same maker. It will be in a wooden viv, so will this, placed beneath the substrate, warm the whole tank correctly? I am getting a thermostat for it of course, i just wondered if it would heat the whole tank, or whether the opposite side will get very little heat.

Last edited:

roger

My vivarium is 23" x 15". In terms of an UTH, what size am i roughly best to go with? Is 11" x 11" ok? The only other size by this brand which is logical is the 6" x 11". Which would you say is the better choice? I was thinking of the ultratherm heat mat. Along with a thermostat by the same maker. It will be in a wooden viv, so will this, placed beneath the substrate, warm the whole tank correctly? I am getting a thermostat for it of course, i just wondered if it would heat the whole tank, or whether the opposite side will get very little heat.

only one third of the enclosure needs to be warmed anywhere between 88-95 degs.the 11"x11" would work.the uth would be placed outside the tank and underneath.You dont want to warm the entire enclosure and u want the other end at room temps

prettyinpink

Correct me if I'm wrong...but I thought we talked about this before a few threads back where the UTH are ONLY suppose to be used for glass ONLY.

Andski

Well it's a heat mat. Not one which needs to go outside of the vivarium. The link Pakinjak gave me was to the website for these heat mats. I'm simply asking which size would be best :)

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
My 20 long is approx the same dimensions and I got the cobra 6x11 sized mat and it covers a good area right where his hot hide is. If I were to go bigger it would take up about half of his tank which I think is too much in order to provide an appropriate temp gradient. Also the unltratherm cobra mat is NOT meant to be constantly submersed, it is water RESISTANT but I don't know that I would feel comfortable letting it sit under moist substrait all day. You'd be better off imo making kinda like a princess and the pea type arrangement with some 12x12 and 1x1 ceramic tiles to elevate it up off the floor of your wooden viv and then sandwich the uth between 2 of the tiles insted. I think it would be a lot safer option honestly.

Visit our friends