UTH confusion

PaladinGirl

I've been reading a lot of stuff on here about the appropriate size UTH for tanks and just wanted to ease my mind because I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for in my forum search. A Zoo Med 10-20 size UTH is appropriate for a 15 gal tank, right? I'd been using the same size for my previous tank, which was a 20 gal tall and had the same amount of floor space as my 15 gal.

fl_orchidslave

I use heat tape and cable but for out of the box heat mats, the general consensus is 1/3 of floor space is to be heated. So the long tanks would take a larger size than a standard size glass aquarium. Glass is more difficult to maintain heat than plastic tubs, which is why a lot of folks need a new mat or try adding lights to keep it warm enough. You've been here long enough to have seen a lot of posts where someone is using a 10-20 gal rated mat for a 20 long, and it's not reaching the desired temp. Take measurements and go by that. Don't let some goofy salesperson talk you into the wrong thing :)

PaladinGirl

It seems to take up about a 1/3 of the tank except for width. I wish it was wider to cover more on the sides. There's a 1 to 2" gap around the sides because I tried to place it right in the middle of the tank width wise. I guess I should've expressed that concern more specifically. I think I may run to the pet store to examine some other sizes but I think the next size up was too big. *sigh*

PaladinGirl

Oh, by the way, I did realize the size UTH I have would've been too small for a 20 gal long. I also knew before hand that it's supposed to cover about 1/3 of the tank but when I opened the box I was like "Wow, this is so small!" My husband insisted it was the right size. I think I'd better actually open the box before I buy another. Thanks for the help!

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
For a 20 long tank ( or for a tank with similar floor measurements of 30x12) the minimum I would be comfortable with is a 6x11 7 watt sized mat BUT it has to be a good quality mat. Ultratherm or t-rex cobra mat or maybe zoomed but exo terra is junk imo. You want the uth on one side of the tank or the other. Not in the middle of the tank.

Last edited:

PaladinGirl

For a 20 long tank ( or for a tank with similar floor measurements of 30x12) the minimum I would be comfortable with is a 6x11 7 watt sized mat BUT it has to be a good quality mat. Ultratherm or t-rex cobra mat or maybe zoomed but exo terra is junk imo. You want the uth on one side of the tank or the other. Not in the middle of the tank.

I have a 15 gal with a 10-20 gal Zoo Med UTH. I have it placed on one end, but in the middle width-wise of the tank, if that makes any sense. Like, as opposed to flush with one of the corners.

PaladinGirl

Yeah. I looked at the next size up UTH by Zoo Med, the 8" by 12" one. My 15 gal is 24" x 12", so theoretically it should fit. And 1/3 the length is about 8". Does that sound right? Sorry if I seem dense. I guess I should've looked into UTH sizes and labels better before I bought it. The labels sure are misleading, plus, the packaging also makes them look bigger than they are. Which is probably why the 8" by 12" one seems so huge when I look at it :D Thanks for the help guys. I'm glad I looked into it. Every time I clean her tank I think, "Man that looks small, but it must be right.." *sigh*

PaladinGirl

Uuugh. OMG now I wish I'd never questioned the size of my UTH. I just bought the next size up, the 8" by 12", and because of the lip around the bottom of the tank, it doesn't fit, even though my tank is 12". It's too wide for the tank. Gah. If only it was an inch less wide, like 11". Anyone know of a UTH with better dimensions for my tank?? LOL! Can I just put in length-wise, like, up in a corner??

PaladinGirl

OKAY. So. I ordered an UltraTherm 11" x 6" UTH, which is about 5% smaller than 1/3 of the tank in size, BUT at least I can fit it width-wise, which will make it much easier for me and Toon because I won't have to position her hide as much as I would if I were to turn the 12 x 8 the other way into the corner, like I was going to do. And because of the lip around the bottom of the tank, I'll be able to push it forward a tad more so it'll take up a little more space. Please tell me this is okay. You all are the gods and goddesses of Gecko Happiness!!

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
That sounds great. Should work great you'll likely need that thermostat to keep your temps right .

Visit our friends