UTH for 30 GAL.

grboxa

my local petsore had a sale on exoterra cages so we picked up a 24x18x18 ...weere getting atelast 1 more female so we figured why not just get it now..my question is i have a uth that was for a 10-20 gal tank...the employee at my shop said this exoterra cage would convert to a 30 gal...would it be sufficient enough to put my uth on this size of tank even if temepratures are ok in his hot hide?...when i get two i will get a proper size.

Last edited:

OnlineGeckos

As long as your UTH covers 1/3 of your tank, and heats up to 90-95 degrees F on the floor of whatever substrate you use, then you'll be fine.

You don't really go buy what the labeling says the UTH is for, that's somewhat irrelevant. So measure the size of the UTH, make sure it'll cover at least 1/3 of your tank and no more than 1/2. Then test the temperature on the floor once you have it plugged in for 10-12 hours and see if it gets hot enough. If all check out ok, then you should be good and won't need to change the UTH.

grboxa

well i can tell you for sure it dosent cover 1/3 fully...but the temperature in his hot cave can be reached with no problem.....outside the cave the hotside is around 82-85 on the substrate...should i just switch to a 75w infared isntead of 50w and a blue light? with the uth?

OnlineGeckos

If the warm hides reach appropriate temperature then that should be fine, they just need temperature gradient so they can move around to regulate their own temperature. You can supplement heating needs with a ceramic heat lamp, those emit heat without light and are ideal for your leopard geckos.

You have choices so it's up to you.

Visit our friends