UTH is too hot

electrofelt

So I am trying to help another gecko owner figure out her cage temperatures and I just want to see if anyone one here had any ideas.

She has a 10 gallon tank with repticarpet substrate and halogen lights (I think). The UTH was on the side of the tank and I suggested for her to put the UTH on the underneath of the tank, which she did, but now the temperature on the hot side is at 110 (the cool side is at 80). I then suggested that she could put layers of paper towels/newspaper/cardboard underneath the carpet to thicken the substrate and help lower the temps. Would this work? Could she use a household dimmer for the UTH or are there issues with using a dimmer? I'm hoping someone has dealt with this before so I'm just trying to figure out what would work and what doesn't work so I don't give bad advice.

roger

So I am trying to help another gecko owner figure out her cage temperatures and I just want to see if anyone one here had any ideas.

She has a 10 gallon tank with repticarpet substrate and halogen lights (I think). The UTH was on the side of the tank and I suggested for her to put the UTH on the underneath of the tank, which she did, but now the temperature on the hot side is at 110 (the cool side is at 80). I then suggested that she could put layers of paper towels/newspaper/cardboard underneath the carpet to thicken the substrate and help lower the temps. Would this work? Could she use a household dimmer for the UTH or are there issues with using a dimmer? I'm hoping someone has dealt with this before so I'm just trying to figure out what would work and what doesn't work so I don't give bad advice.

yeah u need something to control the heat.Although i would suggest a herpstat some ppl use dimmer switches.For now I would thicken the substrate

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
A dimmer or rheostat will work, I just added one to my uth as it was getting too hot and causing shedding problems with my leo. A thermostat will also work well with ut as much manipluating as you might have to do with a rheo. Also you can use thicker substrait like a ceramic tile over the uth area until you can figure out or purchse a rheo or thermostat. Also I would ditch the halogen light. Too bright of a light can stress leos out. They really don't need uv or supplimented "day" light. If it's for viewing pleasure a standard 15 watt incandescnet bulb will be a lot less stressful for your leo. Put it on a timer to simulate as closely as possible the outside lighting hours and preferably over a hide so the leo isn't directly exposed to it imo.

electrofelt

Thanks for the advice! I had forgotten about the rheostat because I have never used one. I'll also mention getting rid of the halogen. She bought one of those hoods with the halogen day light and night light. Hopefully she saved the receipt! Thanks again.

Fencer04

Long Island Geckos
That's definitely a good plan. There is really no reason to have a light in their enclosure.

You may also think about getting a thermostat so that when your ambient temperature changes you don't have to worry about changing the setting on your rheostat.

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
That is true Justin but considering ambient temp flux is usually only a degree or 2 it really isn't that big of a deal in the long run unless you're experiencing major temp flux in amboent temps of 5 degrees or more imo. With just having my rheo installed for almost 2 days and finally finding my optimum range setting it only varies a degree or 2 depending on if I have the house temp set at 66 or 67.

Visit our friends