UTH not heating past ~85-88

Knibitz

Pet Owner
UTH not heating past ~85-88 // ETA: nvm? maybe

ETA:
I need to go out and buy a new thermometer.
I just looked up and now it reads 105 when it was reading 88 just a little while ago! (inside the hide)
I don't think I trust the thing :/ I got a cheapo one, so I guess this is what I get.
I'm going to go out and see if I can find something better
I'll keep you all posted.
-----------------------------------------------------

I need advice on what to add, or what to change to bring up my heat on the hot side.

I have a 20gallon long aquarium with paper towel as the bedding and a screen lid.
My apartment stays at 78 during the day and I drop it to 74 at night.

I'm using a 10-20g Zoomed UTH on the hot side of the tank. (stuck to the bottom of the tank, using the exact directions from the package)
outside the hot hide it reads about 84 all the time, and in the hot hide about 88. (I've been checking it a few times daily trying to figure out the issue myself) So I'm thinking I need to add maybe something to my tank to bring up the heat a little bit. Maybe even cover the hot side with a towel to retain heat better?

My leo has recently started spending a lot of time laying outside of her hot hide during the day sleeping. That makes me worried that my tank isn't hot enough. However, it's hotter in the hide (this: http://pet.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pPETS-3757543t400.jpg oh the irony...) and she'll go in there after she eats and rest in there for a while, but otherwise is usually found sleeping outside of it.

She used to sleep in her cool side hide, but just in the past few days has started sleeping on the hot side in the open. So it's just got me wondering :/

Everything else is fine with her. She is new to living here, she's been here since Sunday. However, she's adjusted very well, is continuing to eat properly, and is active as she should be. You'd think with her being in a new home she'd want to hide... I guess that's another thing that's eating at me that something is wrong. But maybe she's just that comfortable with me already?

Last edited:

clemsonguy1125

What thermometer are you using. Ive got a 10 dollar one from pet smart, it seems to work fine. I found theres a plastic ridge aroound the probe so I set a weight on top of the probe so it touch the ground. I found this brings it up about 5 degrees

Knibitz

Pet Owner
What thermometer are you using. Ive got a 10 dollar one from pet smart, it seems to work fine. I found theres a plastic ridge aroound the probe so I set a weight on top of the probe so it touch the ground. I found this brings it up about 5 degrees

it was just a generic out door/indoor one with a probe that I picked up at walmart, not a reptile specific one.

Visit our friends